Chapel Hill targets pedestrian safety

Online Exclusive

Chapel Hill is about one month away from concluding the current phase of its efforts to make downtown safer for pedestrians.

The Streetscape project, created in 1993, is a program designed to improve the city's street conditions through sidewalk repairs and lighting installations.

"The first activity was on East Franklin (Street)," said Chapel Hill Town Council member Ed Harrison. Since then, construction has moved to other areas of Chapel Hill such as West Franklin Street.

The program is funded by bonds approved by voters. "The town has spent several million in the past few years," said Mayor Kevin Foy.

Lighting is one component of the master plan. "It's a large project," Harrison said. "It took a while to get off the ground."

The town manager requested specialty lighting from Duke Power on April 14.

Installing new lighting for safety is the final phase of the current Streetscape project. The lighting plans are finished and the lights have been ordered.

Foy said all that remains to be done is working out the logistics with Duke Power.

Workers on the project will then begin installing a total of 10 light fixtures along West Franklin Street, specifically on the north side from Church Street to 306 W. Franklin St., and near the University Baptist Church.

"We're looking at November to start installing the lighting," said Emily Cameron, the town's landscape architect.

Initially, Streetscape replaced unsafe sidewalks, if necessary. The project also works on many non-aesthetic changes that people often don't see.

"We install underground utility ducts," Cameron said.

The construction project also improves on drainage systems and gas lines.

The lighting installation will begin after the utility duct installation, specifically as Streetscape's second phase.

"Lighting is kind of the finishing touch," Cameron said.

Automobile drivers should not be too concerned with road difficulties during the installation, she said.

"It affects vehicular traffic in some ways," Cameron said. While occurring close to the curb, installation shouldn't be a hindrance, she said.

"It's not nearly on the same level as when sidewalks are replaced," Cameron said.

The lighting only requires a brief amount of time and space for installation. "It's not major construction," Cameron said. "It should not be obstructive to pedestrian traffic at all."

In January 2005, the town manager will propose the next Streetscape plan to the town council.

"Every year, the council makes a decision on some segment of Franklin (Street) for Streetscape," Foy said. "We do it piece by piece."