City briefs

Students at 2 universities charged with possession

A student at Duke University and a UNC student each were arrested Saturday and charged with one misdemeanor count of possession of marijuana and one misdemeanor count of possession of drug paraphernalia, Chapel Hill police reports state.

Duke student Keith D. Edelman, 18, and UNC student Adam V. Abresch, 18, were arrested at 12:37 p.m. at 125 W. Franklin St. when the building manager noticed the odor of marijuana, reports state.

According to reports, both men had 0.9 of a gram of marijuana in their possession when they were arrested.

Both men were released on a written promise to appear in District Criminal Court in Chapel Hill on Oct. 18.

Carrboro man charged with possession of crack cocaine

Reports state that Carrboro police arrested the victim of a Sept. 19 shooting after a search of his home revealed 20 grams of crack cocaine, a razor blade, scales for cutting and weighing the substance, and marijuana.

Dexter Lamonte Smith, 31, of 306 Estes Drive was arrested at 9:48 a.m. Tuesday and charged with possession with intent to sell and deliver cocaine and maintaining a dwelling for controlled substances, both felonies; and simple possession of marijuana, a misdemeanor.

Reports state that upon his release from UNC Hospitals, Smith learned of a warrant for his arrest and turned himself in to police.

Smith told police that the gunshot occurred during a robbery, reports state. Officers responded to the suspect's house when neighbors reported that a gunshot had gone off within the residence.

Smith was released at 10:45 a.m. Tuesday under a written promise to appear Wednesday at Orange County District Court in Hillsborough.

2 UNC students charged in DWI incident Friday

Chapel Hill police arrested two UNC students early Friday morning after pulling over the vehicle in which they were riding on Couch Street, reports state.

Krist McLaughlin, 29, a continuing studies English major, and Brett Carpenter, 21, a senior English major, were arrested soon after 3 a.m., reports state.

McLaughlin, the driver, registered a .17 and a .18 on two Intoxilyzer 5000 tests, reports state. He was charged with driving while intoxicated, a misdemeanor.

Carpenter, the owner of the car, was charged with aiding and abetting a DWI, which is also a misdemeanor, reports state.

"A person is charged with aiding and abetting when they knowingly allow their vehicle to be driven by someone under the influence," said Chapel Hill police spokeswoman Jane Cousins.

McLaughlin and Carpenter were released on a written promise to appear in Chapel Hill Administrative Traffic Court. Reports did not indicate the date of their appearance.