Congress stipends might be discarded

Vote on resolution and bill could affect Student Code

Student Congress will vote tonight on a resolution and a bill that together could eliminate the possibility of providing stipends for top Congress officials.

Legislation will be introduced during the full Congress meeting that, if approved, would temporarily eliminate the section of the Student Code that allows for stipends for Congress officials. A resolution that proposes a referendum to prohibit the use of compensation also is on the agenda.

A main proponent of the reform is Rep. Kris Wampler, who said the section of the Code violates the Student Constitution, or Title I of the Code.

The debate seems to hinge on the interpretation of specific words in the Code.

A section of Title II allows stipends for the speaker and speaker pro tempore of Congress, but a section of Title I - which student officials said preempts all other portions of the Code - prohibits Congress members from receiving a "salary."

Congress Speaker Charlie Anderson said that he does not accept his stipend and that he voided a check last week. Jennifer Orr, speaker pro tem, also said she does not accept her stipend.

Wampler said he noticed the discrepancy when he was working on the Code as part of the ongoing efforts to update it.

He then contacted Joey Stansbury, outreach coordinator for the Chapel Hill-based John William Pope Center for Higher Education Policy.

Stansbury, a UNC alumnus, served as a member of Student Congress and proposed an amendment to the Student Constitution in 1994 that intended to prevent Congress members from receiving stipends.

The revision was passed by Congress, but a mistake in documentation led to a change in language that neglected to include stipends and instead included only salaries, Stansbury said.

"It appears from looking at the Constitution currently that the language passed by Student Congress (in 1994) was not accurately reflected in the current version," he said.

Aside from the fact that the speaker and speaker pro tem can violate the Constitution by being offered money, Wampler said, it isn't necessary for them to receive payment for their work.

"I feel like it's not impossible to get an outside job," Wampler said. "I don't think it merits a stipend."

Rep. Luke Farley, chairman of the Rules and Judiciary Committee, said that he also supports the elimination of stipends for Congress officials and that the main concern is being consistent with the stipulations of the Constitution.

If the bill passes, the section of the Code that allows for funding will be eliminated temporarily. If the resolution passes, a referendum to make the change permanent will be placed on the student elections ballot in February.

A simple majority of votes is required to pass a referendum.

Farley said the issue should, in the end, be decided by students.

"The notion of asking students to pay the salary of other students is worth putting to the student body to vote."