Damaged drive-in gets help from bands, locals

Many wish to raise money, but few are willing to resort to rock 'n' roll to do it.

But on Sunday, more than a month after fire destroyed its historic screen and neon sign, the Starlite Drive-In will host a rock concert as part of a fund-raiser to fuel its rebuilding process.

Slated to start at 1 p.m., a variety of festivities, including a car and bike show, an auction, a raffle and the concert, will help raise money for the historic drive-in. And Starlite's famous concession stand will be serving drive-in snack favorites.

Bob Groves, owner and operator of the theater since 1986, said he lost 80 percent of everything he owned in the fire. But he's looking forward to a new start.

"It's nice to see how many people are interested in seeing the Starlite back in action," Groves said.

Volunteers have created a Web site called "Save Our Starlite," which highlights the continuing efforts to get the drive-in back in business.

Carla Strawser, a fund-raising coordinator, said that the Durham community has been generous in volunteering its efforts and money. "(Groves has) done a lot of stuff for a lot of people, and we're just trying to help him in his time of need," she said.

Strawser said she contacted Timeless Cruizers Car Club Inc. to host an antique car show, and the event evolved to include the auction and rock show.

"The big item at the auction is one of the stars from the neon sign that survived the fire," Strawser said. Also among auction items is an original set of speakers saved from the fire.

At 4 p.m. festivities will move to Ooh La Latte, where local bands will contribute their time and music for the Durham landmark. Admission to the concert is $5, and the event will feature the drawing of raffle prizes.

Stephen Mullaney, a member of the band The Wigg Report and the rock benefit organizer, said he was motivated by a number of Web postings that suggested a benefit concert.

Participating bands include Lud, Dom Casual, Jaguaro, Mogote, People Under The Bridge and Eyes to Space. "I tried to pick bands that represented the whole Triangle," Mullaney said. "It seemed like everyone who e-mailed me had been to the Starlite at some point and knew it was a community thing and important to Durham."

Built in 1940, the Starlite Drive-In was, until the recent fire, the only drive-in theater still operating in the Triangle and is one of about 500 left in the country. The screen damaged by fire was just as old, making it uninsurable.

The event will cost as much as a Starlite movie: $5 for adults and $2 for children ages 3 to 11.

"Just off of the Web site and cash donations, and just in people giving money, we have raised over $3,000 so far," Strawser said.

She said they are hoping to raise $35,000 in the next few months through other fund-raisers.

"We have gotten a lot of response. A lot of people want to see us go back up," Groves said. "We want to try and get the screen back up by Thanksgiving hopefully."

Contact the A&E Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.