Events aim to help Starlite shine again

Durham community members and out-of-towners joined together Sunday afternoon to help raise money to restore a part of the Bull City's history.

The benefit event, organized by the nonprofit Save Our Starlite Foundation, was aimed at restoring the Starlite Drive-In movie screen, which was destroyed by a fire Aug. 22.

The daytime event featured a classic car show, an auction of Starlite memorabilia, a raffle and familiar movie-theater concessions.

A concert was held in the evening at Ooh La Latte in Durham, featuring six local bands: Lud, Dom Casual, Jaguaro, Mogote, People Under the Bridge and Eyes to Space.

Carla Strawser, a volunteer who helped organize the benefit, said they raised about $4,000 from the car show and concert at Ooh La Latte.

The foundation is hoping to raise a total of $35,000 during the next eight weeks to help subsidize the cost of a new screen.

Several hundred people showed up over the course of the afternoon, ranging from families with giddy children in tow to automotive enthusiasts to nostalgic residents.

Rick Stahl, a Durham resident of 18 years, said he wanted to be involved because of his fondness for the drive-in.

"We used to come out here a lot," he said. "Everybody knows the drive-in, and it's something the young kids don't have the chance to really get out and enjoy."

Stahl applauded owner Bob Groves' consistent dedication to the theater and its upkeep.

Groves lives on the property, and he has been running the 64-year-old theater since he purchased it in 1987.

"He's been keeping the prices down even though he's been showing first-string movies," Stahl said.

Stahl had to leave work early to participate in the car show, but he said it was worth the trouble.

"I wanted to come here and, you know, support the drive-in and give the younger generation a chance to really appreciate it. We used to come out and just pile in the car, as many people you get in for 5 bucks.

"On nice nights, you could just grab a couple lawn chairs or a blanket and just enjoy the night under the stars."

Skip Sartor, a sales representative for University Automotive Inc., said his company was participating in the car show out of concern for the city staple.

"We came out here because the exposure is good, but we really want to help the drive-in," he said.

"It's a part of the Durham community, and I can remember coming here for years. We try and make it out two or three times a year, particularly when the weather is nice."

The car dealership provided several vehicles for the show to help pique interest and bring people out.

"We're just doing what we can to help," Sartor said.

Teresa Farlow and her husband, longtime Durham residents, said bringing their classic Chevrolet Camaro to the show was a last-minute idea.

"We were at a car show yesterday in Flat River, and we heard about this show and decided to come on down," she said. "My parents used to talk about the drive-in and how much they enjoyed it."

James Lee, co-owner of Ooh La Latte, said they had a great turnout of more than 100 people for the evening concert.

He helped organize the show out of his love for the drive-in and as a favor for friend and musician Stephen Mullaney, who helped organize Sunday's benefit activities.

"Stephen's been involved in Ooh La Latte from the beginning, and he's very supportive, and we wanted to do our part for the benefit by hosting the bands here," Lee said.

"It's great to have a drive-in theater here in Durham."

More information on the fund raising efforts, opportunities for interested volunteers and future benefit activities can be found at the Save Our Starlite Foundation's Web site at http://www.saveourstarlite.org.

Contact the A&E Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.