Fest fosters town unity

Downtown Carrboro was alive and kicking Sunday when the Seventh Annual Carrboro Music Festival took to the streets.

The music festival was held from 1 p.m. until midnight on 19 indoor and outdoor stages and featured local bands, street artists and plenty of things to entertain attendees.

During Sunday's festivities, the streets were packed with children on bicycles, skateboarders, street artists, voter registration booths, children hula-hooping, spontaneous dancing and balloon-animal makers.

Children young and old, as well as adults, the elderly and non-Carrboro residents showed up for the music festival.

"This is a great event with a nice, relaxed atmosphere," said Tom Meltzer of Durham. "I've been to a lot of bigger, industry-intensive music festivals. Unlike the bigger festivals, no one here is in your face.

"This music festival is truly about the music and people having a great time."

The music festival featured more than 140 local artists. Bands performed on various stages scattered throughout the town.

"This event is absolutely worth attending and playing at," said Leland Little, leader of the band Hot Roosters from Hillsborough. "We would definitely do it again if we get the invite. We got a lot of publicity, nice comments and sold a few T-shirts. This is our first time here, but it's a great opportunity to play for the locals."

The music festival has been an annual tradition in Carrboro for seven years. It attracts many first-time attendees and return visitors who came in search of bands they heard in previous years.

"This is the second year I have come to the event," said Hillsborough resident Catherine Infante. "I wanted to hear Milagro Streets again. I heard them last year, and they were really good. I might even go to Raleigh to listen to them."

Dave Hargett, a festival volunteer for all seven years, said the festival instilled a great sense of community in the town of Carrboro.

"I am a musician as well as a volunteer," Hargett said. "I love the sense of community we get at the event. It is much like Weaver Street during after hours, but safer and better for children."

The festival was funded by the Town of Carrboro, Strowd Roses Inc., sponsorships and donations. The event was free to everyone.

"Because the festival is free, it isn't a problem to bring the entire family," said Amy Duffy of Chapel Hill. "We are here for the first time and brought our kids, and they love it."

The festival was run mostly by volunteers. There were 102 volunteers this year, one of the largest volunteer turnouts in the festival's history.

Volunteer Coordinator Leila Dillon said moving the event from June to September helped bring in more student volunteers.

"This is a great town event," said Susan Lombardo of Chapel Hill. "Everyone is having a good time and can just stroll and enjoy the event because Weaver Street is closed. This event brings out the bohemian flavor of Carrboro."