Generalization concerning liberals was unwarranted

After reading the letter to the editor about the Missile Dick Chicks by Billy Constangy, I was left feeling very angry.

It was not his opinions about the women and their costumes that angered me.

The problem came at the end of the letter when he stated that liberals have a "narrow view" and are "closed-minded."

To make the generalization that all the liberals on campus do not respect and will not listen to other's opinions is absurd.

I'm sure there are many liberals on this campus who act that way, but it is not purely because they are liberals. I'm certain that there are conservatives who would respond to other's views in a similar manner.

Being closed-minded is more about the individual than their political views.

Just a few days ago, I was involved in a political debate in a friend's room. There were two liberals and two conservatives present.

We had an extremely interesting discussion. We listened to each other, and although no one would budge in their positions, we were respectful.

I wish that Mr. Constangy had been there to see it.

It is extremely unfair and, frankly, closed-minded to lump all liberals together and to make such a sweeping negative statement.

As a liberal, I would be perfectly willing to listen to someone's political views.

I might not agree with them, but I would make an honest attempt to understand their views. I would not write them off simply because of the political label under which they fall.

Maureen Stutzman
Freshman
Undecided