GOP senators criticize Bush on Iraq

Online Exclusive

After the death toll of U.S. troops in Iraq reached 1,000 on Sept. 8, prominent Republican senators on Sunday publicly criticized President Bush's strategy for reconstructing the war-torn country.

In an interview on the CBS News program "Face the Nation," Sen. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska said he does not believe the United States is winning the war in Iraq.

And on the ABS News program "This Week," Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Ind., denounced the administration for spending $1 billion out of the $18 billion Congress has granted for Iraq's reconstruction.

Despite the increasing number of deaths, a Zogby America poll conducted from Sept. 17 to Sept. 19 gives Bush a 3 percent lead over Democratic nominee John Kerry. Bush garnered 47 percent of likely voters' support, while Kerry won 44 percent.

Rachel Sunbarger, communications director for the Bush campaign in North Carolina, said the critiques of fellow Republicans would not have a major impact on voters.

"There have always been varying views of opinion on what to do in Iraq," she said. "The voters will go to the polls to vote for the guy they think is going to be the best leader, and not based on criticism."

Ron Eckstein, spokesman for N.C. Democratic Victory 2004, disagreed.

"Just like those Republican senators, the American public is wondering what President Bush is doing in Iraq ... why he puts a rosy picture on a dangerous situation," Eckstein said.

Either way, Bush's popularity has been enjoying a bounce in the polls since his acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention.

"Bush's advantage is that in a wartime mentality, the president is the only option," said James Stimson, UNC professor of political science.

Appearing on "Fox News Sunday," Arizona Sen. John McCain, a member of the Armed Services Committee, said Bush should not have allowed insurgents to gain control over parts of Iraq, such as Fallujah.

S. Azmat Hassan, former Pakistani ambassador to Malaysia, Syria and Morocco, cited unemployment and deficits in municipal funds as reasons for resentment among Iraqis toward U.S. occupation.

He suggested that the United States create a timetable of withdrawal from Iraq, which might then act as a calming influence for Iraqis.

On Tuesday, Bush delivered a speech to the United Nations encouraging the organization to support U.S. efforts to reconstruct Iraq.

"The one agency that initially has a good track record of peacekeeping is the United Nations," said Hassan, who is now a faculty associate at the John C. Whitehead School of Diplomacy and International Relations at Seton Hall University.

"Failing the U.N.'s help, I do not see how elections could happen."

He added that recent events in Iraq demonstrate that Bush's strategy does not prevent the spread of rebel activity.

"The killings last week are a sign that the insurgents are gaining in strength, that they are operating in a number of cities in the Sunni Triangle."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.