Local politics site celebrates 1st year

Last September, a Chapel Hill activist decided to act on her belief that the residents of Orange County wanted to be better informed about local politics.

So, exactly one year ago today, Ruby Sinreich launched a political Web site - http://www.orangepolitics.org - hoping to provide them with the information she thought they wanted and needed.

And on Friday, Sinreich and more than a dozen friends, supporters and commentators celebrated the site's birthday with a party at the Orange County Social Club in Carrboro.

Some of those in attendance included Chapel Hill Town Council members Mark Kleinschmidt and Cam Hill, as well as Carrboro Alderman Mark Chilton.

Kleinschmidt said the site is both helpful to citizens and beneficial to him as a politician.

"It is an extraordinary outlet for citizens," he said. "But it also ... helps make me a more effective leader."

Sitting in the late afternoon sunlight, the politicians and pundits casually discussed everything from cheap sunglasses to Airport Road while reflecting on the uniqueness of the Web site.

"All you have to have is a connection to the Internet," said Duncan Murrell, a Chapel Hill freelance writer and a contributor to the site. "You don't have to know anyone to get involved."

Sinreich shared similar sentiments.

"It's just our opinions. We're not more qualified than anyone else," she said.

The gathering, however, was not limited to columnists. Sinreich advertised the party on her Web site, urging readers to come and to put faces with names.

Martin Johnson, a UNC graduate student, came to do just that. "I wanted to see what the bloggers look like," he said.

Johnson, who has been reading Orange Politics since January, praised it for its informative value. "It's a good forum to get the story, as well as the story behind the story."

Orange Politics is a multiauthor blog, meaning that several people can comment on political issues by posting to the site. Citizens then can react to the opinions of the commentators by posting remarks of their own.

The site, which was named Best Blog 2004 by the Independent Weekly newspaper, covers topics including elections, planning, transportation, the University and race relations. Since its inception last year, there have been almost 5,200 comments posted on the Web site - a number that Sinreich says makes her proud.

"We've done a lot more than I actually thought we would within a year," she said. "The site is being read by so many people."

Several readers, including Pat Day and his 13-year-old daughter, Jolie, came Friday to get more information on the site.

"(The site) brings up a lot of sides, not just one viewpoint," said Pat Day, shortly after he made a donation to support the site's Web hosting.

Controversies surrounding school system mergers, a heterosexuality pride parade and traffic cameras have all been discussed on the site.

In the future, Sinreich said, readers can expect more discussion of controversial issues, plus a few additional features. She plans on including election guides, information on elected officials and a section titled "Local Politics 101."

The site states that its purpose is to "encourage residents of Orange County, N.C., to get involved in their community by offering education and perspectives on local and regional issues."

Kleinschmidt said the site is well on its way to achieving that purpose. "It is a great vehicle that is well suited to accomplish (its goal)," he said.

"It's allowed citizens to explore the intricacies of local politics."