Locals support parking lot plans

Public weighs in on lots 2 and 5

Members of the community voiced support for the development of a pair of downtown parking lots at Monday night's meeting of the Chapel Hill Town Council.

The Council Committee on Lots 2 and 5 met earlier in the afternoon with John Stainback, a real estate consultant with Stainback Public/Private Real Estate LLC.

Stainback presented a schedule for and financial analysis of the plans for the proposed mixed-use developments to be constructed at lots 2 and 5. The lots are located behind Spanky's Restaurant and across from University Square, respectively.

Stainback, along with council members, presented the schedule and analysis to the public Monday night, taking time to field questions and receive advice.

"We are supportive of any development that lives up to our community's goals," said Aaron Nelson, executive director of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce. "We have a sincere interest to create the most successful project possible."

Lynn Cane, a town resident, added that the Town Council "has taken seriously the importance of parking in the downtown area. ... I'm very encouraged."

But some citizens thought the financial plan was too complex.

David Godschalk, a retired University professor and former Town Council member, remained skeptical. "I think this whole thing needs a long public debate," he said.

Godschalk also cited traffic and storm-water concerns as two issues not addressed properly by the plans.

Committee members also approached the plan cautiously at the group's meeting.

"It's feasible to get (the project) done, but we do things at a more deliberative pace here in Chapel Hill," said Town Manager Cal Horton.

He added that he thinks the construction dates proposed were "optimistic."

Some committee members asked whether Stainback's 18-month plan for lot 5 and 15-month plan for the Wallace Deck on Rosemary Street were feasible.

Committee chairman and council member Bill Strom warned that a six-month delay could result in higher sales prices. Horton added that the estimated costs for the projects might not be reasonable six months from now.

Among other concerns were the composition of the ground under lot 2 and garage specifications for the Wallace Deck.

Strom proposed that two meetings - one with downtown neighborhoods and another with the University and local businesses - be held to discuss the matter.

The committee will convene again Oct. 11 to discuss financial plans and development designs. The council will continue to hear from the public until Oct. 27, when it will decide whether to recommend soliciting a developer.

Stainback's analysis placed the project's estimated total cost at $70.9 million.

The plans for the lot also include the construction of a new parking garage where the RBC Centura bank now stands, a new underground transit transfer system underneath lot 2 and further development of the Wallace Deck.

After the first phase of the plans, which would see the concurrent development of lot 5 and the expansion of the Wallace Deck, RBC Centura would relocate to lot 5.

The plans would add 1,303 parking spaces among all the developments.

The first phase of scenario C is expected to begin in August 2007.