Moeser readies annual speech

After putting the finishing touches on his State of the University address Wednesday afternoon, Chancellor James Moeser summed it up with one word: dynamic.

That seven-letter word, Moeser said, defines the energy of growth and change at the University.

It reflects UNC's efforts to provide a quality education for low-income students through the Carolina Covenant and the recent implementation of several initiatives recommended by the Chancellor's Task Force for a Better Workplace.

But most importantly, it defines Moeser's top seven priorities for the University, to be announced at 3 p.m. today during his annual State of the University address in the Great Hall of the Student Union.

"There is a momentum on this campus right now," he said. "It defines much of what we are doing, working to be the leading public university in the country."

The speech marks Moeser's fourth State of the University address since he stepped into the position during the fall of 2000.

During past speeches, Moeser has announced the launch of groundbreaking new initiatives for the University. Last year, it was the Carolina Covenant. The year before, it was the Institute for Advanced Materials, Nanoscience and Technology that joined undergraduate and graduate students in state-of-the-art research.

This year, Moeser's top goals will reflect the priorities already detailed in the Academic Plan, a five-year guide introduced in July 2003 to shape decision-making for the entire University.

The plan's priorities include providing strong academic experiences for students; integrating research, education and public service; improving faculty recruitment, retention and development; increasing diversity; enhancing public engagement; and extending UNC's global presence.

Moeser also is expected to include strategies for directing funding toward UNC and for implementing the University's information technology reforms.

"I expect that he'll set out his plan to really, really, establish the fact that UNC is the number one public university," Student Body President Matt Calabria said.

Moeser also said he will speak about his experiences with Carolina Connects, a program to link the University with North Carolinians.

Moeser has been touring the state since May, underscoring how the University serves North Carolina. This Thursday, Moeser will speak during an economic development forum in Kernersville as part of Carolina Connects.

"He has been very affected, in a sense touched, by his experiences out in the community, touring around with the Carolina Connects efforts," said Judith Wegner, chairwoman of the faculty. "I think that is something he really, at his heart, thinks about quite a lot."

The speech, campus officials said, will provide a chance for Moeser to cement his plans for the course the University will take this year.

"It gives the leader of the University a chance to organize his thoughts and to pause for a moment and tell people where his priorities are and what his concerns are," said Provost Robert Shelton. "I think it is useful for the community to hear, too, because the community can get a sense of how the chancellor is thinking."