Mom-and-pop shops struggle to retain identity

North Carolina is full of places that boast a small-town atmosphere, but many of them now must face the challenge of maintaining that image among an influx of large chain stores into their economies.

Some town officials say the presence of big box stores such as Target, Wal-Mart and Harris Teeter immediately takes away from the local charm associated with business districts of small towns.

Jeremiah West, recently hired planning board director of Banner Elk, said the problem there is just beginning to surface. A tourist town, Banner Elk still has only one hotel -- a Best Western.

"I was hired specifically to help maintain managed growth," he said.

Banner Elk's planning board gave Lowe's hardware store the approval last year to build a store, but some fear that the chain's presence will take business away from the local Ace's Hardware's franchise.

An outside party sued the town for approving the Lowe's in January, but the board maintained its position even after a revote. The planning board thinks Lowe's will be good for the town because it will provide 100 full-time jobs.

"In a town so dependent on seasonal tourism all year round, jobs are important," West said.

Other towns across the state have had much more experience looking out for small, privately owned businesses as larger chain stores come into town.

Twenty years ago, Chris Johnson started the Downtown Smithfield Development Corporation, a nonprofit organization with the purpose of being an advocate for the downtown area.

DSDC receives funding from the town of Smithfield, grants, fund-raisers and a special tax paid by downtown residents.

"We had 45 percent occupancy 20 years ago, and now it is 95 percent," Johnson said. "Where to put (new businesses) has now become our biggest problem.

"After the big box stores came in, a lot of people think downtown is dead. A lot of people are surprised about the amount of retail downtown."

Downtown Smithfield is filled with retail clothing stores, a music shop, two museums, a sporting goods store, restaurants and a movie theater. DSDC now spends time and money trying to re-educate residents about the variety offered downtown.

Apex also has a few solutions to give the local businesses confidence when competing against larger chains.

"We try and locate all of our chain stores near major intersections and away from our downtown," said David Rowland, director of planning in Apex. "Our downtown area has to offer unique shops with good service."

And even though Apex is drawing large stores such as Super Target and OfficeMax, small business owners don't seem too concerned.

"I have been on this corner for 23 years and have developed quite a following," said Elaine Mills, owner of Basket Tree Florist in downtown Apex. "I am not really worried because if someone has a big occasion, they will come to me."

Mills and Rowland both said personal service is a major key to keeping locally owned business competitive.

In Mills' case, chain stores do not offer the delivery or style that her business does.

"We are selling flowers, but mainly we sell emotion."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.