N.C. DOT looks to extend road

Online Exclusive

The N.C. Department of Transportation discussed plans Thursday afternoon to build a road extension that would cross over the Eno River in Hillsborough.

The NCDOT workshop outlined the proposed extension to Hillsborough's Elizabeth Brady Road and allowed residents to voice their concerns.

The plan, known as the Elizabeth Brady Road Extension, would extend the road, also known as N.C. 86, to the intersection of St. Mary's Road and U.S. 70.

NCDOT proposed the extension to help relieve traffic on Churton Street, which runs through downtown Hillsborough.

Vince Rhea, a consultant engineer with NCDOT, said that the meeting was very constructive, but that the process would be difficult.

"You can't keep everybody happy," Rhea said, adding that the plan is only in the early stages.

The next step for NCDOT is to conduct an environmental study of the area, which it hopes to have published within a year. It then will hold another meeting to present its findings, and it will hear concerns after the study is published.

Bill Crowther, who has lived in Hillsborough for 25 years, said he thinks the traffic is only a problem for two hours of the day. He said he advocates the "no-build" plan instead.

Crowther manages 265 acres in the direct path of the proposed extension, including the Ayr Mount Historical Site and the Occoneechee Speedway.

"My job description is to leave the land better than I found it," Crowther said.

The road's extension would affect trails and public use areas within the site that he has worked to establish, Crowther said.

Another concerned resident present at Thursday's workshop was Holly Reid, vice president of the Eno River Association. Her organization also advocates the "no-build" alternative. She said that in time new roads increase traffic, not alleviate it.

Reid said the dwarf wedgemussel, an already endangered species on the property, would be at risk. Road construction would create a lot of runoff that would further decline the wedgemussel population, an early indicator for pollution problems, she said.

The Eno River provides the drinking water for nine different municipalities.

Reid said she is worried that the road would cause runoff from construction as well as air and noise pollution from cars using the new route.

The road also would divide the natural area into pieces that could prevent animals from traveling and living on the land.

Reid said she is concerned that her organization will not be taken seriously by NCDOT officials but that the forum was a good way for residents to get their ideas out.

"I think they did a good job of providing somewhere you can formally write out your comments."