Officials initiate UNC honor week

Celebrate unique student-run code

Rain moved the site of the opening ceremony for Honor and Integrity Week from the steps of South Building to inside the Student Union, but it did not dampen the spirits of the administrators, faculty and students who gathered to kick off the week.

Blue and white balloons and a large banner, which displayed the Honor Code and the phrase "Honor and Integrity Week 2004 - Keeping Our Tradition Alive," gave Monday morning's ceremony a cheerful appearance.

Several campus officials spoke at the ceremony and stressed how important cooperation among all parts of the community is to making UNC's student-run honor system a success.

Chancellor James Moeser used his speech to trace the evolution of UNC's honor system.

The system was born in 1875 with the development of a debating society that took the responsibility of dealing with student misconduct out of the hands of the faculty.

According to Moeser, the shift in responsibility was the result of a changing society and the rise of student activism.

"We are all in this together," he said. "Our hope is (that you leave UNC) stamped with this culture of honor. That is our real hope for you."

Moeser then ceded the floor to Bernadette Gray-Little, dean of the College of Arts & Sciences, who focused on the role students play in developing a culture of honor.

"There is and has been a tradition of honor that asks each student to hold each other accountable," Gray-Little said.

Gray-Little also talked about the importance of making honorable decisions each day.

"The Honor Code is about so much more than simply taking the pledge and punishing those who don't follow it," she said.

English Professor George Lensing, who will speak at December's Commencement ceremony, used his words to try to energize the student body.

Lensing's excitement for the celebration was evident.

He declared that he works only within the most honorable standards and that he expects nothing less from his students.

"Never be hesitant ... or half-hearted in boldly speaking out about honor and integrity at UNC."

Lensing's speech focused on how administrators, faculty and students can support one another.

"I would like to think that semester after semester, year after year, we can mutually inspire, support and guide each other to our common ideal," he said.

Craig Schauer, chairman of the undergraduate Honor Court, concluded the ceremony by expressing his pride in the fact that UNC's honor system is one of the only student-run judiciaries in the country.

"It is a privilege, and it is a privilege we should be proud of," Schauer said.

He then called on Undergraduate Student Attorney General Carolina Chavez to assist him with a symbolic ribbon cutting, which drew the ceremony to a close and officially kicked off the week.

The speakers and some onlookers then reaffirmed their support for UNC's honor system by signing the honor pledge. Students will be able to sign the pledge throughout this week.