Program pairs athletes, kids

Among the sea of "Turn it Blue" T-shirts at Kenan Stadium on Saturday afternoon, a group of children sported a unique look.

Their dress code did include Carolina blue T-shirts. But the four former and current patients at UNC Children's Hospital, as well as members of the women's softball team, wore shirts adorned with a different logo.

Carolina Dreams, a new program initiated by men's lacrosse midfielder David Werry, teams children from the hospital with student athletes for a day of fun.

Throughout the fall, different sports teams will spend time with groups of about 10 children, eating lunch, attending athletic events and taking their minds off health issues at no cost. The program will resume in the spring.

After almost two years of development and the help of Cricket Lane, director of student athlete development, Werry's dream to connect athletes with sick children finally came to fruition.

"It was pretty satisfying after all the work we put into it," Werry said.

He said he hopes the program will "make students make a difference, despite the restrictions they have on time."

Lane, who helped oversee Carolina Dreams' first event Saturday, said she was pleased with the turnout, although only four children attended instead of the expected eight.

Before the Louisville football game, the four children were met with big grins from members of the women's softball team at the Eddie Smith Field House, where the children played and ate lunch.

From there, the group made its way to Tar Heel Town, where the softball players applied temporary tattoos to the children's cheeks.

The participants then went to the football stadium, where the smiles grew even larger as they stood on the field and saw themselves displayed on the big screen.

When the group moved off the field, members of the men's basketball team greeted the young visitors. Kirstin Macleod, 8, gave Jawad Williams a high-five.

Macleod was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in June and now goes to the hospital every three weeks for treatment. She said she was thrilled to be selected.

"I was just really excited, because I was going to be going on the field and watching (the game) with the girls' softball team," she said.

Junior Crystal Cox, a pitcher for the softball team, spent the afternoon with Hailey Chapman, who suffers from kidney failure. Cox said she likes the program and hopes to participate again.

"I know it's something that's going to be really successful," Cox said. "I was definitely happy. And (the children) had a good time, too, which made it even better."

Juan Ariza Leon also was at the game. He was treated for burns in 2002 after his biological mother abused and neglected him.

Jenny Shaw, who will soon be adopting Leon, accompanied him to the game and said Leon was ecstatic about attending the event.

"He's been so excited about coming here, and I think it's a wonderful opportunity for kids who have been abused or neglected to feel special," Shaw said.

She said she sees Carolina Dreams as a chance for Leon to view the world through a new lens. For Leon, Shaw said, this program is "a re-entry into the real world, and being part of a big universe instead of being excluded."

For Matt Zapel, Saturday was his first full day out of the hospital since Labor Day. He was recovering from intestinal surgery because of complications with cystic fibrosis.

"Being out of the hospital and doing something as great as going to my first-ever football game was great," Zapel said. "And what better team than the Tar Heels?"