Schools fight to reduce number of overweight kids

The fight against fat is a losing battle for North Carolina's youth, but a new federal grant is trying to help them develop more healthy habits.

The statewide Physical Education Grant was announced this week and will go into effect Friday.

"This grant will help all schools focus on a comprehensive approach to physical education," said Debbie Price, deputy undersecretary for the U.S. Office of Safe and Drug-Free Schools.

Schools will be spending $70 million dollars to help prevent children from becoming like the 15 percent of children aged 6 to 19 in America who are overweight.

Price said her office was prompted to put the grant into effect when Congress appropriated money for it last year.

The overall program being put into effect in North Carolina is titled "Obesity Prevention through Research-based Activity and Health."

About $375,000 was given from the grant to North Carolina this year to help fund different in-state health projects. These projects will be funded for three years at a total cost of about $1 million.

The programs will help schools broaden children's understanding of nutrition by teaching them about healthy habits and exercise.

"Children who understand how the body works are less likely to be obese," Price said.

The program involves four projects, each covering comprehensive nutrition programs, training for teachers and physical education.

N.C. Sen. Jeanne Lucas, D-Durham, one of the co-chairwomen of the Senate's Education Committee, supports the grant and said she is glad it is addressing a need in the community.

"Anything we can do to help kids learn, we need to do."

A previous grant given to N.C. students through the No Child Left Behind act has already had positive effects.

Garner High School is one of the four schools selected in a pilot program to receive money from a $500,000 grant given to Wake County.

Jane House, chairwoman of the school's healthful living program, said a wellness center was created on site, utilizing workout equipment that helps students see their target heart rate and how many calories they are burning.

"The wellness center instills lifelong exercise habits to help prevent obesity," House said.

House said it is best that students learn good healthy habits while they're young.

"Students have so much stacked against them, and this program helps them realize the choices they make now affects their future."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.