State & Nation briefs

England to face court martial on prisoner abuse charges

FORT BRAGG -- Pfc. Lynndie England will be court-martialed in January on charges stemming from the abuse of Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison, the Army announced Monday.

A motions hearing is scheduled for Dec. 1 to Dec. 3, with the trial scheduled for Jan. 17 to Jan. 28, according to Lt. Gen. John Vines, commander of the 18th Airborne Corps at Fort Bragg.

England, a 21-year-old reservist stationed at Fort Bragg who is seen in some of the most notorious photos taken at the prison, was arraigned Friday and did not enter a plea.

If convicted of all 19 counts, she could receive up to 38 years in jail, a dishonorable discharge and forfeiture of all pay and allowances.

Among the charges England faces is conspiring to commit maltreatment of an Iraqi detainee by posing in a photograph holding a leash around the detainee, indecent acts with numerous soldiers and wrongfully creating sexually explicit photographs of herself.

United Nations sends more peacekeepers to Haiti

GONAIVES, Haiti -- The United Nations rushed hundreds more peacekeepers to storm-ravaged Gonaives to stem looting, while hundreds of weary Haitians lined up for food before daybreak Monday after spending a miserable night in the rain from Tropical Storm Jeanne.

The Brazilian general in charge of the U.N. force criticized the slow pace of relief that is compounding the suffering of traumatized survivors. At least 1,500 were killed and some 200,000 are homeless in Gonaives.