Superintendent hopefuls debate teacher pay, sex ed

Teaching fellows, students pose questions

N.C. Teaching Fellows and a few interested residents filled the auditorium in Peabody Hall on Thursday night for a debate between the candidates for state superintendent of public instruction.

Republican candidate Bill Fletcher and Democratic candidate June Atkinson answered questions from students in a debate-style meeting.

"The audience will supply the questions, more like a town council meeting," said Christian Rhodes, president of the N.C. Teaching Fellows at UNC.

The position of state superintendent was vacated Aug. 31 by Mike Ward after his wife was named a bishop of the United Methodist Church in Mississippi.

In an attempt to get to know their large audience before the debate, the candidates introduced themselves to students and asked where they went to high school.

The debate's organizers said they were both pleased and a bit surprised by the strong turnout.

"I was really happy with the turnout," said David Buff, a sophomore who led the debate. He also was responsible for organizing the event with the help of the Teaching Fellows Congress.

During the event, students brought up an array of key issues facing public schools, ranging from teacher salaries to religious expression to sex education.

The issue of teacher salaries was brought up several times by students aspiring to be teachers in N.C. public schools.

Atkinson said she is running on a platform that aims to immediately raise teacher salaries by 15 percent.

Fletcher asked where that money would come from, and Atkinson jokingly responded, "by cashing in your businesses."

Both candidates said that they would have liked to discuss the state's testing program but that the audience did not bring up the issue.

"There are problems with the tests that must be reassessed," Fletcher said.

But students addressed other issues, such as sex education. Both candidates said they had not previously been asked to discuss the issue on the campaign trail.

Atkinson stressed teaching abstinence, while Fletcher focused on the importance of listening to parents when it comes to educating their children about the topic.

"They are both really strong candidates; it was interesting hearing both sides," said UNC senior Wingate Smith.

Atkinson has a 33-year record of experience in the N.C. public school system as a teacher and administrator.

She has worked with every school district in the state and served as president of the National Business Education Association and the National Association of State Directors for Career and Technical Education. Atkinson holds a doctorate in educational leadership and policy from N.C. State University.

Bill Fletcher is a businessman with no formal training or experience as an educator, but he has served as a member of the Wake County Board of Education for the past 11 years.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.