Town to increase say in gown's affairs

Law gives local officials more sway in UNC's projects

The Town of Chapel Hill will gain more power over the University's planning projects starting Friday.

The Chapel Hill Town Council decided Monday to accept the planning staff's interpretation of a new state law that shifts the balance of the area's two main land owners - the Town and the University.

The two bodies will have to follow local zoning regulations when developing all projects that do not involve buildings because of a technical correction added to a bill meant to clarify city and county planning issues.

The law was written by a UNC professor and was introduced as a bill last year by Sen. Dan Clodfelter, D-Mecklenburg.

When the words "and land" were added to the bill, local governments unexpectedly gained authority over most land disturbances. Previously, only buildings were required to undergo review by state municipalities.

"This law doesn't just effect (the University)," said Bruce Runberg, associate vice chancellor for facilities planning and construction. "There will be increased workload for the town too. They are also a public entity and have to follow zoning regulations that they didn't have to follow in the past."

But some University land will not be impacted by the law. Projects zoned under the Office/Institutional-4 zoning district do not need town approval.

"What is considered in OI-4 is what is known as the old campus," said Town Manager Cal Horton.

But the Horace Williams tract, the future site of the Carolina North property, is not OI-4 zoned and will therefore be affected by the new law, Horton said.

Planning Director Roger Waldon said that even though Carolina North is in the University's Master Plan, it will be subjected to the new rules because only properties with a OI-4 zoning classification are exempt.

And it will cost the University to comply with the new process, Runberg said. "We are not sure at this point ... but there will be some significant cost."

Starting Friday, the University will have to seek council approval when it wants to build things like parking lots and athletic fields.

"At first, (the University) only had to deal with (Federal Emergency Management Agency) flood plains; now they have to deal with our local regulations," council member Ed Harrison said.

Yet Runberg said that the University was satisfied with the planning staff's interpretation of the law and that he didn't want to make a comment until the council took an official stance.

"We are just hopeful that (the planning staff's interpretation) is well received," Runberg said. "We want the council to receive it without comment and hope that they find it to be an acceptable interpretation of the law."

Although the new law also affects the town, Chapel Hill will have less difficulty adapting than the University.

"We don't have to change what all we do because we followed (the law) even when we didn't have to," Harrison said.