UNC aims to ease construction burden

With construction on campus in full swing and new projects just months away, the Department of Housing and Residential Education is putting into action its plans to prepare students for upcoming changes.

The department is paying close attention to projects scheduled to take place in close proximity to residence halls, including the new parking deck and chiller plant to be built behind Joyner Residence Hall starting this November.

"We take a proactive approach with project managers in order to be sensitive and mindful of noise, pedestrian paths and other problems," said Christopher Payne, director of the housing department.

"We work closely with community government."

Officials at Wednesday's UNC Board of Trustees meeting also said that, as construction continues on campus, students need to be factored into the equation.

To achieve this, weekly construction updates are posted on the department's Web site, and e-mails are sent to students who will be directly affected by the changes.

Meetings providing information about specific projects are scheduled within residential communities and include opportunities for students to ask questions. These meetings will be scheduled as long as there is student interest.

The housing department also has a staff member who meets with project contractors on a weekly basis to keep construction managers aware of student concerns.

"We work as a go-between for students and managers," said Rick Bradley, information and communication manager for the department. "Students can present their concerns to our office, and we will get back to project managers."

One new strategy to inform students is increased communication between the Residence Hall Association and the department.

Steven Lofgren, assistant director for Facilities and Management, has the opportunity to speak at RHA's weekly governors meetings to inform staff about what residents should expect from construction.

"At the weekly meetings we will be talking about what people will be experiencing," he said. "This year we have stronger partnership, more verbal communication with the live-in staff."

RHA President Colin Scott said he couldn't be working with a better team.

"We plan to work with housing to really get the word out about the different projects," he said. "We're going to step up and offer more information for the students and more ways for us to get feedback."

Lofgren said the housing department will continue to pass concerns along to project managers to make sure that those living in residence halls have a voice in the process.

"We want to keep students updated and informed, but also involved," Payne said.