UNC tops sales list for 4th year

Colorful line, marketing help to sell merchandise

For the fourth consecutive year, UNC has ranked as the Collegiate Licensing Co.'s strongest performer, with its trademark licensing revenue totaling $3.7 million for the fiscal year.

This year's revenue marks the second best in the program's history - $140,500 less than last year, the best in the program's history.

UNC policies regulate the use of logos and trademark language.

When businesses receive approval to use these marks, the University receives a portion of the proceeds and allocates 25 percent to the Department of Athletics and 75 percent to general scholarships.

"UNC has a mature licensing program and a strong partnership with Nike and Jordan brands," said Derek Lochbaum, director of trademarks and licensing.

He added that the partnerships with Nike USA and Jordan Brand allow for the creation of UNC paraphernalia, which can be found in abundance at Student Stores.

With royalties of about $1.1 million, the combination of Nike USA and Jordan Brand established Nike as the University's largest licensee, putting UNC royalties at $105 million in retail sales for 2003-04.

CLC is the nation's leading collegiate and licensing marketing representative.

Louisiana State, Michigan, Texas and Notre Dame followed UNC in the rankings.

John Jones, director of campus marketing, said officials have to stay in tune with fashion trends in order to stay competitive in the business market.

Buyers select certain merchandise from catalogs to manufacture and sell.

These samples then are picked out from buyers, where they are ultimately purchased and sold at Student Stores and other campus retail shops.

Headwear has emerged as a new merchandising strategy.

Although headwear retailers have seen a downturn in collegiate sales, UNC experienced 4 percent growth in this category and will continue long-term commitments with these programs.

Women's apparel also experienced an increase in sales.

"(There was) a 170 percent growth in women's apparel because licensing spends more time on the women's unique style, cut and color of the clothing," Lochbaum said.

He said the variations in women's apparel has the potential for further growth.

"There is also a fashion component that goes along with merchandising," he said.

"There are always fluctuations with colors and styles according to the latest fads."

One of the most successful additions in the industry has been the color pink, especially for women's clothing.

And a new color has been introduced to the fall line of men's and women's apparel: chocolate brown.

But merchandising officials claim the most enduring color is classic Carolina blue.