3rd EDA candidate visits campus

The executive director for the arts must foster enthusiasm for projects at UNC in order to boost fund raising, candidate Carole Brandt told a small group Wednesday in the Morehead Faculty Lounge.

Brandt, dean of the Meadows School of the Arts at Southern Methodist University, was the third of four candidates to speak at a forum for individuals vying for the newly created executive post.

She emphasized the importance of getting possible donors excited about the arts at UNC.

"The first thing you have to do is believe," Brandt said. "I am genetically engineered to believe.

"You have to believe in what you're doing and why it's important and what can happen. You have to create an environment where everyone expects to have a voice and can have a voice."

Brandt, who completed her doctoral study at University of Iowa and Southern Illinois University, has more than 30 years of experience in theater education and has taught at several major universities.

Brandt said that in the new arts position, which requires multilateral management and fund-raising drives, she would consider launching several projects simultaneously.

"What we might need to do is break it into pieces and get all these things going at one time instead of doing things sequentially," she said.

In addition to fund raising, the EDA will be responsible for determining the appropriate use of Memorial Hall, Playmakers Theatre and Gerrard Hall.

Brandt echoed the sentiments of Emil Kang, another candidate for the position, who said the key to fund raising is selling an idea.

"People are not going to give you money to solve your problems," she said. "They're going to give you money for your plans and what could happen."

In her position at Southern Methodist University, Brandt raised millions of dollars for the arts. She told the story of one donor who didn't honor an agreement he made to give $1 million to the university.

"Before I leave that university or die, I'm gonna get that million dollars," she said.

Though fewer than 20 people attended the open forum, many walked away pleased with Brandt's qualifications.

"She's brought a unique perspective," said Casey Molino Dunn, chairman of the Arts Advocacy Committee of student government. "She is the most experienced in a collegiate setting."

Executive Associate Provost Steve Allred, a member of the EDA selection committee, said the committee has been pleased with all three candidates.

"There's a potential to make Carolina a real magnet for the arts. All three of the candidates have alluded to that."

Contact the A&E Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.