A family affair

Republicans from all walks hold meeting of the faithful

SMITHFIELD - Support for the letter "B" brought some of the biggest names in North Carolina politics to a Republican rally at the Central Marketing Tobacco Warehouse on Tuesday.

Sen. Elizabeth Dole and former Sens. Lauch Faircloth and Jesse Helms were among the several hundred supporters who turned out to stump for President Bush, U.S. Rep. Richard Burr and gubernatorial hopeful Patrick Ballantine.

The fourth "B" was barbecue. Attendees filled their plates with the North Carolina staple and listened - first to the live bluegrass music on the stage and then to the array of politicians, both local and national, who stressed the need to vote Republican in the upcoming election.

"We are going to have a resounding victory on November 2nd," said Dole. The crowd cheered as she spoke of Bush and the campaign promises on which he has delivered.

Dole also discussed the state's recent victory in the fight for a tobacco buyout, a fight in which she said Burr played a critical role.

"(The buyout) would never have made it off the House floor without Congressman Richard Burr's leadership," she said. "It's done, folks, and I'm so proud to have had a part in this. Persistence and perseverance paid off."

Helms also spoke to show support for Burr. As he took the stage, the audience sang a belated "Happy Birthday" to the man who served North Carolina for 30 years in the Senate and turned 83 Monday.

Parents lifted their children in the air so they could see Helms, who said he had followed Burr closely throughout his political career.

"(Burr is) valuable property," he said. "He's going to make us very proud - very proud."

Burr stood at the podium in front of an American flag and expressed his thanks to Helms, Dole, Faircloth and everyone else who turned out to support him. He also encouraged everyone to cast a vote in this election.

"I am a candidate for the United States Senate, and I desperately need your vote," he said.

Also speaking was Lisa Ballantine, wife of Patrick Ballantine, who said her husband was campaigning in Greensboro.

"I know my husband is the right leader for North Carolina, and I know you feel the same way," she said.

"Support the three Bs - Bush, Burr and Ballantine."

Most of the crowd was at the rally to do just that. Gerald Whitehurst, former mayor of Kenly said he tends to vote "90 percent Republican."

"I came out here to show support for the ticket," he said. "I think it's a great ticket."

Others had more specific interests.

Randolph County tobacco farmer Glenn Patterson said he attended the rally to hear Burr's stance on tobacco policies.

Still undecided on who he will support in the Senate election, he said a buyout would be beneficial to farmers like himself.

"I'm a third-generation farmer," he said, "and I've loved every minute of it."

Burr summed up the evening with a request for party interest and activism.

"It really doesn't matter to me what motivates you as long as you get motivated."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.