Abortion undermines rights of women and the unborn

This is in response to Alyssa Levine's column stating how wrong it was for Carolina Women's Center to be linked to the Carolina Students For Life. ("Change needed for equality at the University," Oct. 12)

She feels this promotes greater gender inequality. As a member of CSFL, I am proud to stand up for the rights of the unborn and my rights as a woman.

No circumstance justifies abortion. Allowing women the choice of an abortion actually broadens gender inequality.

Recently, CSFL hosted a life chain near Franklin Street to silently protest abortion. Most of the opposition to our protest came from men. This was odd, since abortion for the most part is argued as the choice of a woman, since it is "her" body.

Some men see abortion as an "easy way out." One man commented, "Abortion makes up for my mistakes." This should outrage any woman trying to stand up for her rights - it demonstrates how some men disregard the woman and her health by considering the consequences they might have to face if she keeps the child.

Levine wants the University to stand up for the equality of all humans, but why not begin by standing up for the most innocent?

These children deserve the same rights we have. Having an abortion says your life is more important than the life of your unborn child, which is equivalent to saying a man's life is better than a woman's.

The value of one person should never outweigh that of another.

Women should be given information on the other options available to them as well as the risks, and it is the job of organizations like the Carolina Women's Center to make sure women are informed.

I begin standing up for my rights as a woman by standing up for the equality of future women (and men) otherwise not given their chance at life.

Patricia Williams
Junior
Biology