Anti-merger group backs Foushee

The decision by NoMerger.org to endorse only Democratic candidate Valerie Foushee for the Orange County Board of Commissioners has stirred further debate among anti-merger candidates in a race marked by the divisive issue.

Incumbent commissioner Moses Carey Jr. made a proposal in January 2003 to merge school systems as a solution to supposed funding discrepancies between Orange County and Chapel Hill-Carrboro City schools.

NoMerger.org, a group of about 250 individuals dedicated to preventing such a merger, announced Sunday that the organization has endorsed Foushee for the November election, which will fill two commissioner seats.

"We were looking for a candidate that had breadth and length of public service, electability, good communication skills and commitment," said Mark Peters, a member of the NoMerger.org steering committee. "Experience was a key factor. We know Valerie Foushee from her experience with the school board."

Foushee currently serves on the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Board of Education.

Republican county commissioner candidate Jamie Daniel and Libertarian candidate Artie Franklin share Foushee's opposition to a merger.

But Franklin is accusing NoMerger.org of using partisan motives in their decision about which candidate to support.

"Early on, they set the mark on winability as a criteria for choosing a candidate to endorse," he said. "They have stated that a non-Democrat can't win. There's a partisan determinant built into their criteria."

NoMerger.org officials said party affiliation was not the determining factor in Foushee's endorsement.

"We are not directly affiliated with any party," Peters said. "It just so happens most people in our group are registered Democrats."

Peters added that long-term considerations were important to NoMerger.org in choosing Foushee.

But Franklin says that his position on the issue is the most long-term solution.

"(A) merger is not the correct thing to do right now," he said. "That's not to say there will never be a time and place for it. I would transfer the power to the voting citizens of Orange County in the form of a referendum."

Daniel said that he was never contacted by NoMerger.org but that all three anti-merger candidates are excellent choices for county commissioner.

NoMerger.org will support Foushee by publicizing its endorsement among its members.

"Democratic primary winners have always won county commissioners seats. Most of our efforts were on the primary," Peters said.

Foushee won the most votes in the July 20 primary. The other candidate endorsed by NoMerger.org for the primaries, Pam Hemminger, came in fourth.