ASG releases policy on cost of textbooks

Students battling the high tide of tuition and fees recently have been left with nothing but lint in their pockets by the time they purchase their books.

The UNC-system Association of Student Governments hopes to improve this situation by submitting a textbook-pricing study in late December to system schools' boards of trustees and the Board of Governors.

"We saw this as one more opportunity to save students some money," said Jud Watkins, ASG associate vice president for student affairs.

Watkins said the association, as part of its study, will write a resolution and include recommendations to reduce the price of textbooks, focusing on unnecessary textbook purchases and fees.

The group's initial recommendation suggests that collective purchasing and bargaining across the system would reduce costs for publishing companies.

But all 16 UNC-system universities would have to agree to purchase the same books.

"There are tons of entry level courses that are the same throughout the system," Watkins said.

Book rental systems, much like the ones at East Carolina, Western Carolina and Appalachian State universities, also were recommended.

Watkins said students at those universities pay one-third of what other UNC-system students pay.

He also noted that textbooks are not necessary for all classes, especially those in physical education departments.

"We're not going to tell an accounting ethics teacher to not have a textbook," he said.

The ASG also stressed that professors who author a required textbook should return royalties to students, a policy already in place but rarely enforced.

"It is required right now that professors not take royalties on their textbook ... if there is another option," said ASG President Amanda Devore.

The association also recommended that professors put minor text modifications or supplements on the Internet or in handouts instead of requiring a new edition.

"You don't need to put a new edition out every two years," said Gretchen Bataille, senior vice president for academic affairs.

Bataille said the problem can, in part, be attributed to publishing companies. "It's bigger than us; it's an industry issue," she said.

Other recommendations that the association said might alleviate unnecessary book costs include eliminating the sales tax for textbooks and ensuring that professors' book lists are submitted on time to avoid late fees.

Mike Byers, director of auxiliary services at UNC-Greensboro, has an additional recommendation: selling more used textbooks because these cost less for students.

Byers said bookstores make a better margin off used books.

"Everybody wins with used textbooks."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.