Author proffers clip artistry

With the presidential election just weeks away, an enthusiastic crowd at the Bull's Head Bookshop welcomed pop culture political cartoonist David Rees to the University on Tuesday.

Known for his quirky use of clip art as a backdrop to his political and social satire, the Chapel Hill native read from his new comic strip collection, "Get Your War On II."

Rees began by comically alluding to his hometown roots by pointing to his blue-and-white striped shirt and saying he wore it, "in honor of the late, great Matt Doherty."

It was in New York City, while freelance fact-checking for various magazines, that Rees started producing biting comics using public domain clip art.

Using word balloons and campy office-worker characters, Rees' strips address everything from the conflict in Afghanistan to President Bush's interest in Mars.

He jokingly urged other comics to "join the 21st century" and use clip art, which he described as "quicker and less messy."

With such politically charged humor, hate mail is ubiquitous, but Rees said he also gets fan mail from both sides of the political spectrum.

"Usually - and this is going to shock you - most of my hate mail comes from the right," Rees said.

Audience members raved about Rees afterward, buying books and having him sign copies.

Sophomore Alex Nager said he was familiar with Rees' comics before Tuesday's reading.

"It was interesting to hear where he comes from," Nager said. "You can tell that he is really informed from reading his comics."

Steve Backus traveled from Greenville to hear Rees speak.

"I read 'Get Your War On' as soon as it came out," Backus said. "I've always read his stuff online."

Others came to the Bull's Head to experience Rees and his work for the first time.

"I had actually never heard of him," said junior Rob Warren. "I thought he was really funny."

In an interview after the reading, Rees said he is glad to be back in Chapel Hill.

When asked why he isn't in the political realm, Rees said he believes that his brand of political commentary is more effective.

"I think politics is the art of compromise," Rees said.

"With a job like this, you don't have to compromise your values."

As for the future, Rees said that if Democratic candidate John Kerry wins the presidency, he will stop publishing the 'Get Your War On' series, but he will continue his work with Rolling Stone.

Contact the A&E Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.