Ballantine rallies to close gubernatorial gap

RALEIGH - Patrick Ballantine, the Republican Party candidate for governor and a self-proclaimed underdog, stopped by N.C. State University on Tuesday night to tell students why they should support him in this year's election.

Ballantine made his entrance through the back of the crowd, shaking hands with rally-goers before jumping up on a makeshift stage with his campaign banner draped behind him.

He tried to relate to the students by sharing a personal story about an NCSU basketball game from 1983. Ballantine, who was then a student at UNC-Chapel Hill, said he supported the Wolfpack and their coach, Jim Valvano, when they shocked Houston to win the national championship.

"We were so excited about the 'Pack. You were an underdog," he said. "Patrick Ballantine is an underdog."

He expressed his gratitude to the roughly 200 people who came out on a cold Tuesday night to hear a politician speak instead of watching the World Series.

"My man Trot (Nixon) is playing for the Red Sox tonight and y'all are here," he said - before adding with a laugh, "I know you will go back and watch it in a few minutes."

He told the students he would be there for them as governor like they were there for him Tuesday, and also promised to bring jobs to North Carolina for students graduating and moving into the state's work force.

The speech was mixed with some negative talk about Gov. Mike Easley and the way he has campaigned against Ballantine, and also about what the former state senator would do differently if he were in office.

He told several stories about the people he's met while on the campaign trail, including a grandmother who was upset because her eighth-grade granddaughter cannot read and a twenty-something man he met at a court house who "couldn't spell a three-letter word."

He explained his Read to Succeed program, which would use a "big buddy" system of students, seniors and other volunteers to make sure children learn how to read while still in elementary school.

"It is sinful to push them up," he said.

He also solicited help from ralliers by asking them to hang signs in their residence hall windows and to encourage their friends to vote.

"I need you for seven days," he said. "... I need your prayers. Prayers sustain me."

The NCSU College Republicans, who hosted the event, also invited Paul Newby, a candidate for the N.C. Supreme Court.

Kirby Tyson, wife of Supreme Court candidate John Tyson, and Virginia Johnson, Republican candidate for the U.S. House from the 13th District, also were in attendance.

Dennis Berwyn, N.C. GOP deputy political director, spoke earlier in the evening and encouraged everyone to vote a well-informed, straight Republican ticket for his party.

He also reminded them to vote for candidates, such as President Bush and GOP-endorsed judges, who must be marked separately on the ballot.

"The choices you make locally will let Republican people rise to national positions in the future."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide