Ballot includes vote for 9 Congress seats

Voting will take place today to fill nine vacant seats in Student Congress.

There is one seat open in District 4 for undergraduates living in Granville Towers; one in District 6 for undergrads living off campus; two in District 7, the arts and sciences and humanities district for graduate students; and five in District 9, which is open to all graduate and professional students in medical schools.

Three students are running to fill the seat in the Granville Towers district: freshman Caroline Spencer, sophomore J. Robert Austin and junior Chase Tweel.

The other districts currently do not have candidates, but leaders are encouraging students to submit qualified write-in candidates.

"We are looking for someone active who will do a good job of representing their constituencies," said Congress Speaker Charlie Anderson.

"We are hoping that they are someone who wants to run and aren't being written in by their buddies."

The representatives originally elected in February either did not accept their seats after being elected, resigned, or, in the case of the Granville representative, did not live in the district they were elected to represent.

Students can vote for only those representatives who apply to their district. Voting takes place online from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. today on Student Central.

"I encourage people to run for office," said Austin, a sophomore majoring in political science who said he looks forward to being "a voice for my constituency."

Spencer said she wants to help those living in Granville Towers and get their views heard in Congress.

"I would encourage everyone to get involved," she said.

"We need everyone."

Tweel said he believes he is a competent candidate for the position of Granville's representative.

"People owe it to themselves to be involved," he said.

"This institution gives so much to the students, it would be ideal to give something back. The best way to give something back is by becoming involved."

The graduate medical schools district is open to students studying in any medical program, including dentistry, pharmacy and the master's program.

The arts and sciences and humanities district is open to all graduate students studying in those fields.

Congress members are charged with representing their constituents in the body, which comprises 40 representatives from nine districts, and acting as a liaison between their districts and student government.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide