Brennan chosen as first professor in Duke-UNC joint program

Online Exclusive

Geoffrey Brennan has high hopes for a new initiative that will further relations between rival universities.

The professor at the Australian National University in Canberra was recently selected as the first recipient of the Nannerl O. Keohane Distinguished Visiting Professorship, which was created to promote collaboration between UNC and Duke University.

He will oversee the creation of an intense study in philosophy, politics and economics for students at both universities.

"I find this an exciting and energizing prospect," said Brennan, a professor of social and political theory. "I very much look forward to doing my small bit in helping make it a reality."

UNC Provost Robert Shelton and Duke Provost Peter Lange both played an important role in bringing Brennan to the area.

Shelton said that normally the selection process for visiting professors is decided by a joint committee after a detailed application process -- but Brennan's selection was a little different.

Brennan had the necessary qualifications for the professorship, so Shelton and Lange decided last month not to delay the professorship another year to wait for the initial funds to be distributed.

"Brennan is absolutely perfect to start things off," Shelton said. "I think he is an ideal match for what we expect for the Keohane visiting professor, and I think he will build a successful joint program for both institutions that will have a lasting value."

About a year ago, Brennan was debating whether to start a similar program at a British university, but after discussing the idea with colleagues from Duke and UNC, the ideal location for the program became apparent.

Brennan described the political presence at Duke and the Department of Philosophy at UNC as widely recognized and among the most prestigious in their respective areas.

"I thought, if these two giants could be put together, one would have an unbeatable (politics, philosophy and economics) presence," Brennan said.

Brennan said he had doubts about the program's feasibility because of the collaboration required of three departments at two universities. But he added that he has already had a lot of support and strong commitments from faculty and staff at both institutions.

John Dryzek, director of ANU's theory program, said UNC and Duke will benefit from Brennan's professorship.

"He is the most broad-minded and interesting economist I've ever met, a very engaging person with a first-rate intellect," Dryzek said.

Brennan said he is excited about the launch of the joint program.

"I am optimistic there will be a flourishing PPE program in the area, one that will rival similar initiatives at Yale and the University of Pennsylvania, and perhaps outclass them," he said. "This program will be distinctive in that it will offer students in both institutions access to some of the best scholars in the participant disciplines in the world."