Bush and Kerry deadlocked after 2nd debate

The two men vying for the White House were on familiar territory after Friday's second presidential debate: even ground.

About 44 percent of registered voters said Kerry won the debate, while 41 percent claimed that Bush was the winner, according to an ABC News poll released Friday.

Those numbers are more even than those released after the first presidential debate. A Sept. 30 ABC News poll stated that only 36 percent of registered voters said Bush won and 45 percent sided with Kerry.

On Friday, President Bush and Democratic nominee John Kerry answered 13 questions from the audience that allowed them to spar on everything from Iraq to tax cuts to abortion.

Kerry got the first question and found himself defending his record to an audience member who asked him about being "wishy-washy."

"The president has presided over the economy where we've lost 1.6 million jobs," he said. "The first president in 72 years to lose jobs. I have a plan to put people back to work. That's not wishy-washy."

Kerry said his plan would close loopholes that encourage companies to seek low-wage labor overseas.

But Bush hit back hard, pointing out Kerry's inconsistent voting record on the war in Iraq and the president's $87 billion request for reconstruction. "I can see why people at your workplace think he changes positions a lot. Because he does. He said he voted ... against (the $87 billion) right before he voted for it."

While the candidates allowed substantial time to discuss Iraq, they also answered questions pertaining to domestic issues.

A major topic of dissent was health care. Bush touted his drug discount cards for seniors and said he will allow drugs to be imported from Canada after the Food and Drug Administration and Surgeon General determine a safe way.

Kerry said he plans to provide citizens with the same level of health care available to congressmen as well as to federally fund "catastrophic" malpractice lawsuits. "All of that can happen, but I have to ask you to do one thing: Join me in rolling back the president's unaffordable tax cut for people earning more than $200,000 a year."

Kerry, looking straight into the camera, also pledged to not raise taxes. But Bush said his opponent's claim to financial conservatism is not credible. "He voted to break ... the spending caps over 200 times. ... And of course he's going to raise your taxes."

Perhaps the most stark contrast between the candidates was during the talks about abortion.

Kerry said his religion causes him to deeply respect the belief about life and when it begins. "But I can't take what is an article of faith for me and legislate it for someone who doesn't share that article of faith."

Bush stood firm and said he would not spend taxpayers' dollars on abortion, touted his partial birth abortion ban and encouraged America to nurture a culture of life.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.