Campus voting kicks off

Ballots available on North Campus

Students can cast their ballots in the 2004 elections starting this morning, when polls open at the Morehead Building for one-stop voting.

The Office of the Provost began early voting four years ago with the Orange County Board of Elections to make voting easier for students living on campus.

On Nov. 2, voters must report to a designated poll site, which causes problems for on-campus students who live in districts with off-campus polls.

"It's so helpful for college students, especially because of our unpredictable time schedules," said Jordan Selleck, chairman of UNC College Republicans.

In an effort to encourage early turnout, men's basketball coach Roy Williams will join student leaders at 9 a.m. today on the steps of the Morehead Building. The event is being organized by the nonpartisan voter education group VoteCarolina.

Executive Associate Provost Steve Allred said his office asked Williams to speak in hopes of increasing voter turnout on campus. "We're trying to generate a little interest and excitement about the opportunity to vote early," he said. "Who better to do that than Roy Williams?"

Also among those expected to speak is Student Body President Matt Calabria, who said he plans to use his time to reaffirm the importance of college students' votes. Joining Williams and Calabria will be Selleck and Justin Guillory, president of UNC Young Democrats.

After the speeches, the leaders will enter the Morehead Building to cast their own votes - a gesture they hope will break partisan boundaries to illustrate the importance of being an active U.S. citizen.

Anyone registered in Orange County can vote from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., today through Oct. 30, on every day of the week except Sunday. Students must bring their UNC ONE Card to vote.

Amon Anderson, chairman of VoteCarolina, said he hopes the planetarium will be a convenient location for students to vote.

"Whereas on voting day the polling places aren't conveniently located for someone who lives in Hinton James who has to go down Mason Farm Road, you walk right by Morehead going to Franklin Street or class," Anderson said.

Campus leaders said they hope this morning's event will highlight the importance of getting to the polls. "It's not just our civic duty," Calabria said.

"Especially in such a tight election, it's something that really matters. It matters about how students are treated and the kind of consideration and respect students receive in our community and in the country."