Carrboro Latinos learn new computer skills

Online Exclusive

IBM is working to better inform the Latino public of available technological opportunities by providing information services to North Carolina communities.

Carrboro-based advocacy group El Centro Latino, along with IBM volunteers, sponsored an information seminar for the local Latino population Thursday night.

"(The program) was established with the goal of bridging the digital divide," said Renae Murphy, an IBM employee volunteering with the project.

During the event, the Spanish-speaking volunteers showed attendants how to use different computer programs, including word processing and Internet navigation.

The volunteers then let the community members practice their skills on the center's available computers.

The program initially began as a way to teach rudimentary computer use to Latinos.

"The first year, we targeted basic Internet," said Cristobal Espinosa, president of IBM's Hispanic Diversity Group. "This year, we decided to go ahead and give (citizens) the advanced topics."

Not only did the attendants receive a lesson in computer use, but they also were given the chance to win a computer. Six used computers, in excellent condition, were raffled off.

"IBM provides the grants to the Triangle United Way, who provides the computers," Espinosa said.

IBM sponsors this seminar nationwide. North Carolina has the greatest turnout, he said.

According to the N.C. Latino Health Task Force, the state has the fastest-growing Hispanic population. More than 13 percent of Carrboro's total population is Latino or Hispanic, the task force said.

Amber Hall, associate director of El Centro Latino, said the program has had increased popularity since its inception four years ago.

Thursday's event had more than 40 people in attendance. "This is the most people we've had," she said.

Hall said she was personally satisfied to be involved with this event.

"I really enjoy working with this community," she said.

The event was one of many sponsored programs by El Centro Latino for La Familia Technology Week, which ran last week.

IBM sponsors such training programs at several locations in the area.

"We pick a place from Carrboro, Durham and Wake County," Espinosa said. "That way we hit all the major community centers."

IBM uses this type of program to reach out to local communities and provide services to them.

Espinosa said IBM has several diversity groups that help the company target individual groups in the county.

"It's volunteer work," he said, adding that he was pleased to help with the project.