Center parses life's building blocks

Towering over South Campus on Mason Farm Road, the state-of-the-art Carolina Center for Genome Sciences houses scientists who are unraveling the genetic traits of the human body and making life-altering discoveries.

The center was established in August 2001 to comprehensively analyze the entire genetic blueprint of an organism.

"Genomics comes across pretty powerful information that can really affect people's lives," said Mary Sym, associate director of research. "It can potentially impact the health and welfare of society at all levels, including drug discovery, patient care, crop protection and public policy."

With diverse faculty and cutting-edge facilities and laboratories, the center effectively keeps pace with the constantly evolving field of genomics.

"The bread and butter of genomics is what we call 'bench research' - the actual experiments done in the labs," she said. "But beyond that, we must incorporate statistics, bioethics, et cetera. This new effort to incorporate different branches of science for genomic research grows out of the fundamental discoveries at the 'bench.'"

Sym said another important function of the center is training the next generation of scientists and clinicians in the genome sciences so that "they can really have a grasp of what's going on."

The center now is working to use three of 21 major grants from the National Institutes of Health to fund new medical research centers and speed research science into practical use.

The grants are part of the agency's Roadmap for Medical Research, which provides a framework for NIH funding priorities and represents an attempt to make the country's medical research system more efficient and productive.

One of the grants is aimed at genetic analysis and will use computers to help sort the vast amounts of information in the recently completed human genome.

The center will use clinical studies and population models to unravel the genetic traits of many illnesses.

"Our goal is to address the challenge and understand the basis of complex human disease states," said Terry Magnuson, director of the center.

He said geneticists must work with bioengineers to figure out how diseases such as breast cancer and alcohol addiction can be passed from one generation to another.

With this grant and with the center's genome research, officials said it is essential to collaborate with the entire research community.

"You can't just stay inside your lab all day anymore," Sym said. "You have to get out onto campus and assess the other extensive research and knowledge that's going on."

The center appoints faculty from seven different academic units who represent more than 15 departments and disciplines on campus.

Genomics requires the integration of fields such as genetics, biology, biochemistry, bioinformatics, epidemiology, computer science and engineering.

"At Carolina, one of our greatest strengths is our ability to conduct the kind of research that brings different fields of knowledge to bear on complex problems in science at the same time," said Tony Waldrop, vice chancellor for research and economic development.

Scientists from different backgrounds and different departments now are coming together to further genomic research.

Sym said that through this campus collaboration, the center "is dedicated to making significant advances in basic genomic research, as well as translating these discoveries to improving health care, education and society."