Change in leadership runs well for CAA

Members expect smooth transition with Strunk

An empty vice president position was the only trace of William Keith's resignation from the Carolina Athletic Association at its meeting Tuesday night. Former Vice President Lindsay Strunk has stepped up as president of CAA without any complaints after Keith stepped down from the position Oct. 13.

"I work with such a strong group of people that the transition has been pretty effortless," Strunk said.

Although he no longer will serve as CAA president, Keith said after the meeting that he will still be an active member of the organization. He said he plans to work with ticket distributions and other general operations.

"I have the utmost faith in Lindsay's leadership," he said. "I am looking forward to this new role in CAA."

In the past, there has been confusion about the definitions of the role of CAA. Strunk said she acknowledges this but believes steps have been taken to combat misconceptions.

"The role of CAA is to be the voice of and representatives of students for involvement with athletics," she said. "The confusion comes in when people think we are a part of student government."

Strunk said she believes that through frequent meetings with student government, the CAA will be able to operate more efficiently. She pointed to a summit, held before Keith's resignation, between officials of CAA and student government as a prime example of such efforts.

Roger Wespe, director of public relations for CAA, said Keith's resignation won't hinder the group's future efforts. "It is what it is. This is a strong organization, and I feel like Lindsay taking over can only move us forward."

During the CAA cabinet's regularly scheduled meeting, members continued discussions of upcoming Homecoming events.

The meeting, which was the first meeting run by Strunk, was business as usual as preparations for Homecoming week came to a close. The group discussed many of the week's activities, including the Homecoming concert, headlined by John Legend, and the Homecoming game against Miami.

A change in authority as the countdown begins for Homecoming could easily cause problems, but as the group approaches its biggest push of the year, members have nothing but great expectations for their new leadership.

CAA secretary Lauren Thurau was supportive of having Strunk at the helm. "I don't think it will affect Homecoming or CAA in general."

CAA cabinet members still are uncertain how they will fill the vice president position and are waiting to hear more from student government.

But Strunk said she believes the organization will continue to make strides in the right direction, even during the transitional period.

"We want to highlight some of the really positive things about CAA," she said. "It's hard, but we have such an exciting week ahead."