City briefs

Mebane man charged with tearing down political signs

A man was arrested Friday and charged with tearing down the political signs of candidates from the Democratic Party.

According to reports, a plain-clothes Chapel Hill police officer saw Samuel Aaron Wiggs of Mebane removing political signs at 2:48 p.m. from the side of Airport Road near Dixie Drive.

Wiggs removed two Kerry-Edwards signs and one sign for Erskine Bowles, reports state.

Wiggs was arrested on charges of pulling or tearing down signs and was released on written promise to appear, reports state.

Police seek perpetrator in robbery, assault on N.C. 54

Chapel Hill police are looking for a man who, according to reports, robbed and assaulted a clerk Friday night at Big John's Citgo station at 2321 N.C. 54.

According to reports, a heavy-set, tall man wearing a black jacket, blue jeans and a blue bandana that covered everything but his eyes held a small black handgun and demanded money from the clerk on duty.

The man, who wore latex gloves, then hit the clerk's face and locked the clerk in a closet, reports state.

The clerk was able to get out of the closet and call for help, reports state. Police brought in a K-9 police dog but were unable to locate any suspects, according to reports.

Police urge anyone with any information to call Chapel Hill police at 968-2760, or Crimestoppers at 226-CRIME.

Police arrest several locals in incidences of possession

Chapel Hill police made several arrests this weekend in separate incidents involving the possession of marijuana.

According to reports, Lance Brandon, 25, and UNC senior Anna Maxwell, 21, of 402 Manly Residence Hall were arrested Friday on charges of possession of marijuana.

Police spokeswoman Jane Cousins said an officer saw the two smoking marijuana behind the Bank of America Building, located at 137 E. Franklin St.

Brandon and Maxwell both were cited and released, reports state.

William Bradley Peace, 21, also was arrested on charges of possession of marijuana in a separate incident, reports state.

According to reports, Peace was stopped Saturday for speeding at East Franklin Street and Elliot Road. Peace was cited with driving while impaired, but the charge was dismissed for no probable cause, reports state.