City briefs

Elementary school teacher charged with felony larceny

Chapel Hill police arrested and charged a local elementary school teacher Friday with stealing more than $2,000 worth of gift certificates from a PTA fund-raiser, police reports state.

Wendolyn Lockhart Frierson, 58, a teacher at Franklin Porter Graham Elementary School, came to the Chapel Hill Police Department at 9:30 a.m. to have the warrant for felony larceny served, reports state.

Maj. Tony Oakley of Chapel Hill police said that when gift cards came up missing from the elementary school's office, they were flagged by the company that makes them.

Oakley said that when someone attempted to use one of the stolen cards in Durham, police began an investigation that led to Frierson.

Stephen Greene, the elementary school's principal, said the total amount missing was $2,095.

Greene said Frierson, who is in her 31st year as a school teacher, was placed on paid leave as of Wednesday. She will remain under suspension until the investigation's end.

Frierson was released on a written promise to appear in District Criminal Court in Hillsborough, reports state.

Man charged with fraud for taking $10 from a student

A local man was arrested Monday evening and charged with felony fraud for obtaining $10 under false pretenses from a UNC student, Chapel Hill police reports state.

James Horace Malley, 40, of 227 N. Roberson St. gave the student a false name and phone number when he asked for bus fare, said Jane Cousins, police spokeswoman.

The student followed Malley from campus to a bus stop on West Rosemary Street and determined that the man had given him false information, she said.

When the student threatened to call the police around 7:20 p.m., Malley fled. Police caught up with the man on Caldwell Street 10 minutes later, reports state.

Malley was released on an unsecured $2,500 bond to appear Tuesday in District Criminal Court in Hillsborough.

Carrboro man charged with drug-related violations

A Carrboro man was arrested and charged with possession of crack cocaine and maintaining a drug dwelling, both felonies, and possession of drug paraphernalia, a misdemeanor, after police responded to a domestic violence call at his apartment, Carrboro police reports state.

A search of the apartment of Antonio Clark, 19, at 401 N.C. 54 yielded 1.7 grams of a white rock substance believed to be crack cocaine, along with a razor blade, mechanical scales, two shotguns, a .380-caliber pistol and ammunition, reports state.

According to reports, an argument between Clark and his girlfriend led to a report of domestic assault.

When police responded to the scene, they found evidence of drug paraphernalia, reports state.

Officers gradually searched Clark's apartment under a verbal consent to search, reports state.

Clark was released on a written promise to appear Tuesday in District Criminal Court in Hillsborough.