City briefs

Forcible rape reported off Pritchard Ave. extension

A forcible rape in a residence off the Pritchard Avenue extension was reported Tuesday evening, Chapel Hill police reports state.

According to reports, the victim was held down and raped by an acquaintance at about 9 p.m. in her home.

Police are still investigating.

Dalzell likely to be indicted on murder charge Nov. 8

It was another administrative day at court Thursday, and Andrew Douglas Dalzell again did not appear.

His lawyer, public defender James Williams, was at court defending other cases. Williams said administrative days can be used to change felony charges to misdemeanors.

He also said Dalzell's first appearance will likely be in Orange County Superior Court because district court will not handle a case like Dalzell's.

Dalzell is facing one count of second-degree murder, six counts of sexual exploitation and four charges related to larceny by an employee.

Williams refused to comment on how he and his client would tackle the charges once in court. No plea has been made as of yet.

District Attorney Carl Fox said Dalzell is likely to be indicted Nov. 8 on the charges of second-degree murder and charges stemming from larceny by an employee.

"He won't be indicted on the charges of sexual exploitation because there is more evidence to be gathered," Fox said.

Dalzell has been in Orange County Jail for almost two months after being arrested Sept. 9 and charged with the disappearance and murder of Carrboro resident Deborah Leigh Key.

Fox said a possible date for Dalzell's appearance in Superior Court is Nov. 30.

Until then, he will remain in the county jail on a $20,000 secure bond for the charges of sexual exploitation and a $70,000 secure bond for the murder charge.

Attempted break-in marks 10th such attempt in area

An attempted break-in at a Cameron Avenue residence Wednesday marks the 10th occurrence of breaking and entering this month in the area of Cameron Avenue and McCauley, Mallette and Kenan streets, Chapel Hill police reports state.

According to police spokeswoman Jane Cousins, a resident of 206 W. Cameron Ave. called police at about 7:15 p.m. after catching a suspicious man at the back of the house.

The suspect fled on a bicycle, but officers found an open window and the resident's kitchen television wrapped in a T-shirt outside the house, Cousins said.

According to reports, five of the 10 break-ins this month occurred while residents were inside the house.

"The closer the suspect comes to the victim, the more potential there is for someone to be hurt," said Cousins. "There's more fright to the victim, and there's more concern for us," she said.

According to reports, five of the 10 break-ins occurred through unlocked doors or windows.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide