City Schools suggests task for to study athletics

Online Exclusive

The Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Board of Education has requested the formation of an athletic task force to specifically address issues in middle and high school athletics.

Officials had expressed concerns over the years that there has been no systematic way of dealing with a variety of athletics policies such as recruiting and gender equity.

One reason the task force on athletic programs was created was because there was no districtwide athletic director, said Kim Hoke, spokeswoman for city schools.

"There's been some problems brought up in terms of consistency," Hoke said.

The group will look at curricular areas, relationships between athletic teams, community teams, gender equity, conduct of athletes and recruiting.

"In our district, we have now grown to the size where we don't have a central control over athletics," said Steve Scroggs, assistant superintendent of city schools. "We now have over 40 varsity teams."

He said the committee would help the schools have better control over athletics operations.

A major issue the athletic advisory committee will address is recruiting that goes on at the high school - and sometimes even the middle school - level.

"The problem is everybody's so competitive," said Hal Wertich, athletic director at Chapel Hill High School. "Part of (the difficulty) is that the (N.C.) High School Association has rules, but they don't enforce them."

The committee would like to find out whether recruitment is occurring, and if it is, what steps should be taken to curtail possible abuses, Hoke said.

There have been a number of high school players from city schools recruited to major colleges in the last few years, including Iona College, the University of Georgia, N.C. State University and UNC-Greensboro, Wertich said.

Another issue involved students who participate in certain sports. Some say young athletes were being discouraged from joining other sports teams.

"This is a major item," Scroggs said. "It's been really problematic."

He said athletics need uniform policies.

"We want to make sure each school has the same rack of rules," Scroggs said.

In regard to gender equity in athletics, Scroggs said, "We're a lot better than other systems, but we do struggle a bit in the area of facilities."

The task force also intends to take a close look at the district's current transfer policy to protect against abuse, Scroggs said.

The task force will present recommendations to the superintendent in March.