Coach, others rally student votes

Williams touts importance of young voices

UNC men's basketball coach Roy Williams joined several campus leaders in front of Morehead Building on Monday morning as he advocated the importance of voting during the formal inauguration of one-stop voting.

All voters registered in Orange County, including many UNC students, can vote at the planetarium between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday until Oct. 30.

The University is divided into six different precincts, three of them off campus, and the planetarium site should help eliminate student excuses about the inconvenience of voting off campus, officials said.

"Don't complain unless you're willing to be part of the process," Williams said.

The Office of the Provost, along with the Orange County Board of Elections, organized early voting at the planetarium four years ago to make the process easier for students living on campus.

"Voting's not a job, it's not a burden," said Jordan Selleck, chairman of the UNC College Republicans. "It's a gift."

Campus leaders stressed the importance of voter turnout.

"Students need to vote to make sure that our voices are heard in the town and state and to set a precedent for national events," said Ginny Franks, former executive member of Young Democrats.

The formal kick-off helps to make the site more concrete to students, said Jen Bushman, president of the Graduate and Professional Student Federation. Many times, students hear about voting at the planetarium, but they remain unsure of the process, she said.

Student Body President Matt Calabria said, "Anyone registered to vote can just take two seconds out on the way to Franklin Street or class."

Speakers lined up to vote after the event to illustrate further the importance of voting. Williams said he will vote at the planetarium later because he is still undecided. In his place, he brought Assistant Coach Joe Holladay to cast an early vote.

A line formed shortly after the speeches ended, as many of those who attended the event waited to vote.

"I've been thinking about this for two years," said Saumil Shah, a senior business and political science major. "I wanted to come vote early so I wouldn't have to stand in line all day."

Although all Orange County voters may use early voting, students must present their UNC ONE Card to vote at the planetarium.

"The main purpose today was to get the message about voting out," said Chase Foster, an executive board member of VoteCarolina, a nonpartisan voting initiative hosted by student government. Members of VoteCarolina organized the event.

Williams is one of the most widely admired people on campus, so his presence added to the appeal of the event, Foster said.

"If me showing up here and eating some doughnuts brings more attention to voting, I think that's great," Williams said.