College students aren't high-risk

Flu shots to be available to select few

The reactance theory states that when there is a loss of opportunity, people will do anything to preserve their shot at it.

This theory makes sense in light of the nation's recent flu vaccination shortage: People are scrambling to procure this preventative measure - and it's not even flu season yet.

"We have had more inquiries on the phone of students asking for flu shots," said Carol Kozel, nursing director of UNC Student Health Services. "But there have been no cases of flu that I know of."

A regulatory agency suspended Chiron Corporation's Fluvirin influenza vaccine production license Oct. 5 for three months, preventing up to 48 million doses of the vaccine from being shipped to the United States.

In the few weeks since this announcement, North Carolina is vaccinating only people who are in the eight high-risk groups.

These groups include people who are 65 or older, children up to 6 years old and health care workers who work directly with patients, said Christine Pearson, spokeswomen for Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Those who are not in the high- risk groups don't have a chance to receive the shot.

"People not in those groups did receive the shot before the announcement," said Bill Furney, spokesman for N.C. Department of Health and Human Services.

Kozel said college students are not in the high-risk groups, so they might not receive the flu shot unless they have a chronic disease.

Flu clinics are being offered across the state to help those who are eligible to receive vaccines, but doses are limited to 100 to 200. Kozel said some elderly patients are even camping out all night to receive the vaccine.

But the long lines might end because the vaccine supply is on the rise.

"More vaccinations are going out over the next six to seven weeks from manufacturer Aventis Pasteur," Pearson said.

There are also other options such as the nasal flu vaccine FluMist. Pearson said about two million doses are available to people who are 5 to 49 years old, but it does require a medical visit.

Furney said that because everyone who wants a flu shot won't be able to get one, preventative measures must be taken.

"Wash your hands, don't touch your face, cover your mouth when you sneeze, don't go where people are sick and, most importantly, if you become sick, contact your health care."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.