Colleges may ease transfer process

Students in community colleges could find it easier to pursue further education as colleges across the state increase recruiting efforts from two-year institutions.

"We have a large number of students that transfer, and the number is increasing every year," said Wanda White, director of student development services for the N.C. Community College System.

She said there are more opportunities to join four-year institutions because of articulation agreements.

"Once students receive an associates of art or associates of science degree, they can enter a four-year college at the junior level," White said. "This is a lot more economical for the students."

N.C. Central University is one school in the UNC system that recently took steps to actively recruit students from two-year programs.

"We are trying to constantly increase community college students' enrollment in our university," said Janice Harper, interim assistant vice chancellor at N.C. Central. "Here, students will receive scholarships, easy access to registrations and a smooth transition."

She said transfer students are excited, focused and know what their goals are.

"Community college students are older individuals and are interested in getting their degrees," Harper said. "They often have families, jobs or both and are generally very mature and focused."

She added that financial programs created to help community college transfer students would not interfere with those aiding four-year college students.

"Community college students can apply for scholarships of their own," Harper said. "Nothing will hinder or take away from four-year college students."

She also said the school is working to create a more definitive outline of general college requirements. This would benefit all students but is meant to have a more significant effect on transfer students.

"We want to really outline their plan for them so they can get their college degree in a very timely manner," Harper said.

N.C. Central is not the only college stepping up its programs in transfer recruiting.

"Community college transfers are one area that Fayetteville State University is trying to target in order to increase membership," said Jeff Womble, director of public relations at FSU.

And Brenda Holcombe, associate director of student admissions at Western Carolina University, said transfer students from two-year programs increased by 52.6 percent this year.

"We've gone a step beyond the normal articulation agreements and set up specific programs for transfers," she said.

UNC-Chapel Hill also is taking steps to increase enrollment of community college transfer students. Rebecca Egbert, assistant director of admissions, said recruiting students from community college is one of the University's highest priorities.

By allowing more students to further their education, she said the state is increasing the number of people with college degrees.

"We are here to attract the best and brightest around, even if that includes transfers."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.