Council gives blessing to 2 new subdivisions

The Chapel Hill Town Council voted Monday to authorize the construction of two new subdivisions in the town.

The council unanimously approved applications for the Montclair subdivision, which will be located on Culbreth Road close to Morgan Estates, as well as the Chancellor's View Cluster subdivision, located at the intersection of Old Lystra Road and Zapata Lane.

The council approved both resolutions Monday after first receiving comments at hearings Sept. 20.

During a hearing at the end of the council's four-hour meeting, a few residents from the area surrounding the planned Chancellor's View subdivision expressed mixed feelings about the development.

Margaret White, a resident of Old Lystra Road for 10 years, began by saying that she thinks approving the application is a good idea.

"There's a whole lot going on in the way of development of Old Lystra Road," she said.

But White was skeptical of the proposal approved by the council because only three units of affordable housing would be included throughout the development.

"Putting three affordable houses (in the resolution) would set an example to all developers on Old Lystra Road about our community. ... It would be a setback," she said.

The proposal contains a stipulation requiring 15 percent of all homes - three in the Chancellor's View subdivision - to meet affordable housing standards.

The town defines affordable housing as a dwelling that must be priced reasonably for individuals or families making up to 80 percent of the area median income for a family of four.

Council members also raised the issue of affordable housing at the first round of public hearings on the developments. During that meeting, the potential developers and the council offered different numbers for units of affordable housing in the district.

"I don't want to see these houses be the last that are built," said council member Sally Greene on Monday. "It's economic integration, not segregation."

Other residents also voiced concerns about the Chancellor's View development. Paul Johnson of Zapata Lane inquired whether a nature trail planned to run through the subdivision will be paved.

"We're not proposing to pave anything," said Town Manager Cal Horton.

Johnson also feared that subdivision buffers would cut into his property, but Mayor Kevin Foy assured him that the buffer would not affect his land.

No one commented on the Montclair development, which will include 13 lots on 11 acres. It also will include a sidewalk around the Montclair Way cul-de-sac, a point of some discussion at the Sept. 20 hearing.

The Chancellor's View Cluster subdivision, proposed by Capkov Ventures LLC, will include 25 lots on about 32 acres.