Council to mull issue of zoning

Debate centers on Carolina North

"OI-4" might mean little to the average University student.

But the zoning classification and its different levels have serious implications for University development and town-gown relations.

Tonight, the Chapel Hill Town Council will consider changes to its Office/Institutional-4 zoning standard, a special zoning district created for any development whose main use is for college and college-related functions.

Tonight's public hearing also comes exactly one week after the council voted to generate information on possibly rezoning the University's proposed satellite campus, Carolina North, as Office/Institutional-2 instead of OI-4, as the University wanted.

Though separated only by a number, the standards could have very different impacts on University growth.

"OI-4 is very flexible to the extent that the University and the council agree," said Town Planning Director Roger Waldon. "OI-2 is much more restrictive."

The Town Council created the OI-4 district as part of an amendment to the Development Ordinance in July 2001.

The University campus and property were all rezoned to this new district, which allows special standards related to building height, intensity of use, buffers and transition areas.

"We were really pushing for OI-4," said Tony Waldrop, University vice chancellor for research and economic development, in reference to the Oct. 11 council decision. "OI-4 really fit with the feel of that campus. ... It's less restrictive."

In a letter dated last Friday, Chancellor James Moeser expressed his concern with the Oct. 11 unilateral action, said Jonathan Howes, special assistant to the chancellor.

The council voted unanimously to ask Town Manager Cal Horton for information on rezoning Carolina North, planned for construction on the University-owned Horace Williams tract.

"OI-4 was created in a cooperative way. ... Carolina North should be the same," Howes said.

Under OI-4 standards, the University need only submit a development plan or plan modification that the council must review and act on within 90 days.

"Development plans have pretty specific levels of intensity, and if the council approves them, the University has the authority to develop," Waldon explained.

Waldon said rezoning the property to OI-2 would require the University to obtain special use permits for all development on the property.

The rigorous standards of OI-2 zones, compared with OI-4-zoned districts, are among the topics of discussion slated for tonight's hearing.

The council will also receive comment on whether the town should require the University to submit a concept plan before it submits a development plan application.

The town planning board and Horton both recommended requiring submission of a concept plan instead of extending the review period for development plan applications. Both also recommended that the town establish quarterly meetings with University representatives on current and future projects.

The public hearing on the proposed changes to the OI-4 zoning district will be the council's second hearing and is scheduled to begin about 8 p.m.

While the council discusses these potential changes, the University can only wait and react.

"We'll just see how it goes," Waldrop said.