Director of El Centro Latino leaves post

After two years dedicated to serving the area's Hispanic community at the nonprofit El Centro Latino in Carrboro, Executive Director Hector Perez will leave his position Friday.

"I'll miss the children, the women, the individuals here," Perez said. "All those things - the ability to prevent fear in people's hearts, to give people the opportunity to succeed."

When he came to El Centro in October 2002, Perez said he envisioned at least a four- to five-year stint with the agency. But he said he's accomplished his goals for El Centro's financial security and structural strength faster than he expected.

"It's time to move on to new challenges," Perez said.

Perez's decision also comes in light of his son's plans to move on to law school.

Nathan Perez, a senior at the University, will graduate in December. He recently received his LSAT scores and learned that he is in a position to apply to out-of-state schools he had not previously considered, Perez said.

Nathan's upcoming transition contributed in part to Perez's decision to embrace change. He wants to ensure that he can support his son as much as possible, he said.

For Perez, whose family fled Cuba in 1962 when he was 5 years old, the opportunities available for his son are overwhelming.

"My father was an illiterate farmworker," Perez said. "The thought of my son elevating himself so far - it's hard to grasp."

Perez said he plans to maintain his residence in Raleigh. He'll likely move into the private sector, but he said he does not have any definite plans.

Perez's departure was a surprise to El Centro's board of directors, although board President Mauricio Castro said he understands that such transitions are common in nonprofit work.

"He's performed tremendously well," Castro said. "I am happy for him because he has done a great job at El Centro, and also because he's moving on in his professional life."

The board has already begun a search for a new executive director and will interview applicants in coming weeks. Castro said he has confidence in the agency's future.

"The organization is there, people know what we are all about, and we play an important role in the community."

In 2002, when Perez arrived at El Centro, it was still a fairly young nonprofit, finding its footing both financially and structurally.

"It was still looking for its focus," Perez said. Currently, despite the recent economic recession, the agency's income exceeds expenses.

"He's been a very strong leader for El Centro and left it in really good shape," said Carrboro Mayor Mike Nelson.

Carrboro Alderman John Herrera said Perez brought El Centro to a new level.

"I think Hector did a really good job kind of realizing the program and the finances," said Herrera, a strong advocate for the Hispanic community. "He empowered people and made a lot of things happen behind the scenes."

Though Perez likely won't continue to serve on the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce board of directors, he said he will continue nonprofit work by serving on several local boards.

"I'm not going far."