Dolls impress packed house

You know a band is progressive when members have to make up a genre to describe themselves.

As peculiar punk duo The Dresden Dolls proved Friday at Cat's Cradle, progressive is not always a bad thing.

The Boston-based band, comprising a pianist and a drummer, proffers a brand of self-proclaimed "Weimar-era" punk combined with gutsy on-stage performances.

Their live show is weird and really good. As original as it is artful, the Dolls' unique sound compares to what one might hear at a Broadway musical - if Broadway musicals were wrought with goth addicts and absinthe groupies.

The pair play instruments as extensions of the body, and clearly both are well schooled in their craft. Neither is afraid to perform in ways never before attempted.

And as if Dresden Dolls' music were not entertaining enough, both players know the advantage of playing up the crowd, which results in an all-around enjoyable show. By necessity, their stage presence approaches theatrical proportions. In fact, the two are often seen with their faces painted white, a stark contrast to their trademark black garb.

Drummer Brian Viglione stole the show Friday, toying with his percussion apparatus like a mad scientist in a meth lab. Sometimes standing to crash the cymbals more forcefully or to pulverize the snares, Viglione reigned over the set with absolute authority. One could hear acumen reverberating from behind towering percussion.

On a few songs, Viglione came to the front of the state to accompany singer and pianist Amanda Palmer, whose throaty vocals could stand just fine on their own.

Palmer, like Viglione, plays like it's second nature. Just as ferocious as her male counterpart, the blisteringly confident lead vocalist spoke comfortably between songs, regaling the audience with amusing stories and dirty jokes.

The seasoned pianist, who has been known to shave her eyebrows and draw freaky designs in their place, pounded her keyboard so aggressively that she broke off two keys.

Palmer's vociferous lyrical stylings play masterfully off her outlandish ivory firebombs. Her barbaric yawping seamlessly is spun between the disjointed peaks and troughs of what is arguably America's most hardcore recital.

Together, The Dresden Dolls have created one of the most original acts around. One wouldn't think that two Weimar-era singletons with a drum set and a keyboard could keep an audience mesmerized for an hour and a half, but it works.

It works really well, actually.

Contact the A&E Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.