Eclecticism, variety mark town exhibit

Collection to be on display until Nov. Collection to be on display until Nov.

A local artist whose painting focuses on "abstract, feminine themes" will showcase her work as part of an exhibition opening at the Chapel Hill Town Hall on Friday.

Sonja Turnquist Bower's work and projects of other local artists, will be on display through Nov. 26.

Kate Billings, executive administrator for the Chapel Hill Public Arts Commission, said the commission is hoping for a good turnout.

"We are very excited," she said.

"It brings visitors to Town Hall."

The exhibition is part of the commission's efforts to educate the public about local art. The CHPAC sponsors several public exhibits throughout the year.

"The mission of the Chapel Hill Public Arts Commission is to enhance and enliven the community through public art," said Janet Kagan, a member of the commission.

"One way to accomplish this goal is the display of two- and three-dimensional artworks," Kagan added.

The commission receives several dozen applications for the exhibitions every year.

"The range of artworks that we have displayed has broadened, and we are now receiving applications further away from Chapel Hill," said Kagan.

This increase in volume has led to more work and more exhibitions for the commission.

Twice a year, CHPAC has an open call for submissions.

"The artist selection committee jury determines which artists are compatible and engaging," Kagan said.

A group of outside artists also is brought in to to aid the committee in making its picks.

The commission has seven exhibitions per year at the Town Hall and Chapel Hill Public Library. Each show usually lasts six to seven weeks.

To encourages variety, the exhibitions are not restricted by themes. Instead, individual works drive the shows.

Exhibitions are often different from each other because they feature a wide variety of artists.

"We certainly show a lot of emerging artists," Billings said.

"We see this as a nice place for emerging artists to show as well as established artists to show - it's a nice mix that way," she said.

The show at Town Hall will consist of a variety of works.

Mediums included in the showcase range from pottery to photography to painting.

Specifically, this year Bower's work will focus on colorful abstraction.

"The intricate and diverse nature of my work stems from an explanation of colors, shapes and materials," Bower said.

"I have attempted to create visually complex and striking images that also generate specific thematic associations such as domesticity and femininity."

Bruce Melkowits' photography, which is featured in the show, is purely black and white and more situational, without an overarching thematic quality.

"When I work, I respond to where I am," Melkowits said.

Students who are looking for a release after the rigors of midterms should visit the Town Hall building, where the exhibition will be displayed from Friday through Nov. 26.

Contact the A&E Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.