Edwards' stellar play earns him award, start

Sophomore LB has 'statement game'

As the ball deflected off the hands of North Carolina defensive end Melik Brown, it quickly became apparent the ball wasn't going to find its intended receiver.

Linebacker Larry Edwards cut in front of N.C. State tailback T.A. McLendon and snatched the ball out of the air with nothing but green ahead of him.

A flying tackle by Wolfpack wide receiver Richard Washington at the 3-yard line saved a touchdown, but UNC quarterback Darian Durant found Jon Hamlett in the end zone on the very next play.

"I know that I had an opportunity in front of me, and I just took advantage of it," said Edwards, who made his first start of the season. "I was just like, 'Got to make a big play,' and I had the opportunity to be blessed. One came to me, so things came out for the better."

A game-turning interception in the fourth quarter, a fumble recovery in the third and general havoc wreaked from start to finish - it all added up to ACC Defensive Back of the Week honors.

"This was a statement game for me," Edwards said. "It was like my coming back. I feel like I just have to build on this and step my game up to a different level."

The sophomore had appeared primed for a break-through season after an 89-tackle freshman campaign.

But a lackluster offseason left Edwards overweight and buried in the depth chart in the Tar Heels' first five games. He entered Saturday's game with just 19 tackles on the season, good for seventh on the team.

As Coach John Bunting grew progressively dissatisfied with his linebackers, though, Edwards seized his opportunity.

The weak-side linebacker learned Wednesday that he would be starting Saturday's game ahead of junior Mahlon Carey.

Carey was second on the team with 32 tackles entering the game, but Edwards claimed the starting job with a strong week of practice.

"It was time to give him a chance to play," Bunting said. "He earned the right to play because he practiced well."

Along with the interception and fumble recovery, Edwards finished the game with eight tackles.

Two of those stops came on N.C. State's final drive.

He stopped Wolfpack halfback Tramain Hall with a big hit at his own 14-yard line to force a third-and-6 situation.

He came back two plays later and combined with cornerback Jacoby Watkins to stop McLendon at the 4-yard line, setting up the N.C. State tailback's controversial rush that ended just shy of the North Carolina goal line.

For all of Edwards' big plays, though, it was his technique that impressed his coach the most.

"Larry played good at the point of attack," Bunting said. "He had most of his reads down, and he played with his hands, which is so important as a linebacker."

But if Edwards is to establish himself as a consistent impact player, he'll have to continue the progress he showed Saturday.

"Each week, I have to step my game up to the next level," he said. "I have to build from this statement game."

And with the corps of linebackers depleted by the indefinite suspension of middle linebacker Fred Sparkman, Edwards likely will start again this week.

"Based on his performance, yes, (he will start)," Bunting said. "But he has to go out there and practice well again."

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.