Environmental issues are as important as jobs, defense

David Havlick's recent commentary ("Our leaders are losing sight of environmental protection," Oct. 11) could not have stated more clearly what all Americans need to hear before Election Day on Nov. 2.

With both sides digging deep during these last few weeks of the race, it's critical now, more than ever, that voters know the detrimental effect the Bush administration has had on the environment over the past four years.

The Kerry campaign proposes to change the direction in which our country's environment is headed.

Issues addressed by Havlick, such as the attempted rollback on mercury standards for air quality, which occurred under the direction of the Bush administration, are as critical to the stability of our country's future as national security and economic stability.

John Kerry has addressed these issues not only during his campaign but throughout his political career, and in the plans he has proposed on the road as well as on his Web site, www.johnkerry.com.

During this campaign, he has clearly laid out a process through which the degrading effects of the past administration can be reversed.

Stances on environmental protection and preservation held by these two candidates are dramatically different, and we must weigh these differences heavily in choosing the next president, for the future of our generation, as well as the next.

Cristina Pace

Junior
School Of Nursing