Fight fierce in debate's wake

Bush-Kerry contest presents no victor

As the presidential debates came and went, the gap in the polls between President Bush and Democratic nominee John Kerry waned, leaving neither candidate with a decisive lead.

In an Oct. 14-16 CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll, 49 percent of registered voters said they would vote for Bush, while 46 percent said they would throw their support behind Kerry.

Kerry barely edged out Bush during the final debate Wednesday to become the voters' choice for victor in all three match-ups, which pundits say might be the most influential contests in recent history.

Immediate results showed that 42 percent of registered voters declared Kerry the winner, while 41 percent said Bush won.

During the third debate, at Arizona State University, the two candidates fielded questions about domestic issues from Bob Schieffer of CBS News.

Schieffer said he received more e-mail before the debate regarding immigration than any other topic.

Bush countered Kerry's claim that the borders are leaking more today than before the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. "They're much better protected today than they were when I was the governor of Texas. We have much more manpower and much more equipment there."

Bush said his administration is adding 1,000 Border Patrol agents on the southern border and upgrading equipment.

Both candidates said it's time to raise the minimum wage of $5.15 for the first time in seven years, although Bush said the way to do that is to ensure that the No Child Left Behind Act continues to raise education standards.

During the debate, Bush also said he would continue to push his proposed constitutional amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman in order to protect the nation's highest law from "activist" judges.

"We shouldn't change - or have to change - our basic views on the sanctity of marriage. ... I think it's very important that we protect marriage as an institution, between a man and a woman."

But Kerry said that, while he personally believes marriage is between a man and a woman, he would not try to legislate that belief since it might infringe on the rights of other Americans. He also said he supports expanded civil rights for same-sex couples.

"I ... believe that because we are the United States of America, we're a country with a great, unbelievable Constitution. ... You can't discriminate in the rights you afford people."

Kerry also called on Bush to take a firm stance on the landmark abortion decision of Roe v. Wade.

"I think it's important to promote a culture of life," Bush answered. "I think a hospitable society is a society where every being counts and ever person matters."

While neither candidate won the final debate hands-down, both candidates did manage to tug at viewers' heartstrings.

Bush's most poignant moment came when he spoke on his faith's role in policy decisions: "Religion is an important part. I never want to impose my religion on anybody else. But when I make decisions, I stand on principle, and the principles are derived from who I am."

Kerry's most stirring moment came when he conjured up the memory of his late mother, who gave him some advice for his presidential bid: "Remember: integrity, integrity, integrity."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.